Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Traveler's Tripod

Real Name
    Karl

Traveler's Tripod

We hope to tour Europe in the Spring of 2014, right now I am using a Manfrotto 055xprob and ball head this is a strong and heavy tripod, to cumbersome for travelling I think What I am looking for advice on, is a easy to pack, light weight, full height, traveler's tripod , is there such a thing?
    Thanks in advance
    Karl

Real Name
    John

Re: Traveler's Tripod

Karl - It would help to know how much you are looking to spend for the tripod.

John

Real Name
    Mike

I just purchased a tripod and ballhead with these exact specifications. Ended up with a Feisol CT-3441T with a photo clam ballhead from Really Big Cameras.
    Coming from one of those wallmart cheapos, this is awesome. I know there are others better (and more expensive). Bought it with a trip to Alaska in mind this summer and motorcycle trips. small enough to fit in the saddlebag, and 4 sections allows it to reach to my eye level without extending the center column. Strong enough for my camera with a 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM II attached. Very light and compact. It depends on what your budget is going to be. This was more than I wanted to pay, but I decided to bite the bullet for something that will last a long time and meet our needs without paying an equivalent for a L lens!

Real Name
    Karl

Budget is always on my mind but it would not be my criteria for choosing a tripod. The tripods has to suit my needs, then we'll decide if I have a selection. SO speak up my fellow travellers and let me know what you use when you travel.
    I too do most of my travelling here via motorcycle hence the light weight and compact but I am 6'2" so I require the height
    Thanks in advance

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hi Karl,

I use the Manfrotto 055CX Pro 4 carbon fibre. It goes everywhere with me. It's light, strong and compact enough to fit in the case. The only drawback I have is that I use the 410 junior geared head which weighs as much as the legs.

We're actually off to Crete later today and it's already packed!

I use the same set up as you, Karl, for my main tripod.

But for a lightweight easy carry option, I purchased a Velbon Luxi L which has 4 leg segments and collapses to around 15 ins which fits inside my backpack.

Velbon do other 4 segment tripods.

I find this version to be sufficient for general use; and have even used it with my 40D plus Sigma 150-500 lens. But without raising the centre column.

Real Name
    John

My main tripod is a 055xprob as well and decided that if I was going to get a travel tripod it needed to be small enough that I would actually carry it with me. I bought a Promaster T525P carbon fiber, 5 section unit that folds down to under 14 1/2". I am very pleased with it even though I have to stoop a bit to use it (often don't extend the last section). It works well for macro use close to the ground with the two section center column and fits nicely on my slingshot bag. As they say, the best tripod is the one you actually have with you.

Real Name
    Dave Wilkinson

karl

Hama make a nice compact tripod thats perfect for traveling here is a link so you can take a look to see if it meets your needs..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hama-Trave...item2c5dddfe69
    I havve one of these and its a great tripod for the price.

Real Name
    Tommy

What about the Gorillapod Zoom?

I've been thinking about getting one of those recently...

...I actually took my 055CX3 with Markins Q10 ballhead with me on my honeymoon It fit diagonally in my suitcase wrapped up in clothing. I know it was a risk given how baggage handlers throw your luggage around but it survived!

Real Name
    John

You could always buy one when you get to your destination and if it is worth it ship it back home. I have a Promaster combi 28, code 6374 tripod. It can extend to six feet and I took it with me once for a day trip and it served it's purpose. The carrying case I purchased made it an easy accessory and I didn't notice the burden at all.

Real Name
    Jim

Karl I think it also helps to know the weight of your kit too (unless I missed that in the OP)?

The weight of my kit limits what tripod I can use.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Guys...I'm new on the forum and came across this post whilst scrolling through the various topics.

I too have been considering a light weight tripod for use when travelling overseas....the expensive Gitzo Traveler II has got my eye and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of it?

Cheers in advance

Steve

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Karl, have you considered a monopod? I've not used one myself but fancy the idea of one for holidays and events etc.

At one time I did use a monopod because it was lighter and stowed easier than a larger tripod.

But I now find that a lightweight tripod with extra joints is almost as good in that respect. Also, with legs closed it virtually becomes a monopod but with the extra option of improved stability with legs open.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFawcett View Post
    Hi Guys...I'm new on the forum and came across this post whilst scrolling through the various topics.

I too have been considering a light weight tripod for use when travelling overseas....the expensive Gitzo Traveler II has got my eye and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of it?

Cheers in advance

Steve
    I've looked at the Traveler, but bought an Explorer instead - I do a lot of macro/closeups of flowers many of which are close to the ground. The Explorer is the only Gitzo that meets this requirement without going through contortions.

http://www.gitzo.ca/product_list/720...0.0.0/explorer

The current model is the GT2541EX - mine is the previous model - GT2540EX. It's the 6X CF.

With four leg sections it folds down quite short (540 mm = 21 1/4") and will easily fit in a suitcase.

These are not cheap tripods at all, but considering this is my fourth in five years . . . well if I'd taken the sage advice that I was aware of, I wouldn't be trying to sell three previous tripods which include: Manfrotto 190, Manfrotto 055XPROB, Giottos MTL9451B.

I've finally landed my last tripod. What a relief.

Glenn

Hi there,
    I'm used to bring with me the cheap and lightweighted Joby Gorillapod SLRZoom (without head) during my Mountain excurtions (one or more day) as it is very light and easy to carry (even knot externally at the backpack)
    http://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom

for the less difficult one day journeys on countryside as well as seaside I use the Cullmann Nanomax 220 (cheap and lightweighted too)
    http://www.cullmann.de/en/detail/id/nanomax-220.html

I'm happy with both
    PS I usually carry on them a 50D + 17-40 f/4 L or 70-300 IS USM
    cheers
    Nicola