Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Actions and Textures

Actions and Textures

I can't get away from the realization that a lot of the images that I love have actions and textures applied to them. I think the most successful ones are those that use them in a way that brings out the feeling of the photograph without really being noticed - the image is what shines. When I use them, though, I feel so silly - especially with the actions. I feel like I've "cheated". I'd like to know your thoughts on this, please.

Also, here is an image that I've used an action and applied a texture to. I'd really appreciate your fresh eyes and input.

(Hmm! Now, I wish that I had added borders. Please, if you would view them in the light box - they're much better that way, in this instance. But, then, you have to come back and read the explanation of what they are!)

Actions and Textures

This is the image with only the action.

Actions and Textures

This is the image post processed in iphoto. I left it a bit dark and saturated because I knew that the action would wash it out a bit. I don't like this image on it's own. Every way that I post processed it, it looked too pristine which is ridiculous for a falling apart Cassell's and wild, antique roses.

Actions and Textures

Again, I'd appreciate your observations. I need help knowing what to think about all of this! Thanks much!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 22nd June 2011 at 09:41 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Actions and Textures

Hi Katy

I'm very much an amatuer and don't have much experience in PP. This might explain why I don't fully understand what processing you've done.

What action has been applied to the second image ?
    Is the processing done in iphoto the "texture" you refer to ?

I ask these questions because I find the difference between image 1 and 3 quite striking and impressive. Personally I think it's great and wouldn't feel that the processing is artificial or exaggerated.

Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi Katy

I'm very much an amatuer and don't have much experience in PP. This might explain why I don't fully understand what processing you've done.
    Well, then, thanks for taking a stab at it!

What action has been applied to the second image ?
    Is the processing done in iphoto the "texture" you refer to ?
    I processed #3 in iphoto, then, the middle one is using the velvet cream action from the Coffee Shop blog (free actions and textures) in photoshop CS (version 8, I think) and that's where the texture, in the first one, was applied. I say that I don't understand layers but I've been using them for a couple of months.

I ask these questions because I find the difference between image 1 and 3 quite striking and impressive. Personally I think it's great and wouldn't feel that the processing is artificial or exaggerated.

Cheers Dave
    hooray! I had to include the other two photos because I thought people would say that I didn't use any texture at all. I blended it in with "multiply" at 55% opacity and then, brushed some of it off of the rose. My husband thinks that the "finished" product is too light and washed out but he saw the last one first and I think it makes a difference what order you first view them in.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

If you are referring to cheating with the actions... Katy, you haven't. No more so than playing a song on the piano that someone else has written, or baking cookies, a pie, cake or some other dish from someone else's recipe. And, just like you can add nuts, coconut or toffee to a chocolate chip cookie recipe or use only 1/2 the salt or replace the vanilla with almond extract etc.,... you can do the same with each layer in your action...adjust and tweak it to make it yours.

Someone else made the recipe... wanted to share it with you... enjoy it.
    Last edited by ilovelucydog; 22nd June 2011 at 11:58 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

Hello Katy
    The last image is really gorgeous Very nice.
    I never thought - silly me - one could get such beautiful pictures from iPhoto. I have to try it some day.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    If you are referring to cheating with the actions... Katy, you haven't. No more so than playing a song on the piano that someone else has written, or baking cookies, a pie, cake or some other dish from someone else's recipe. And, just like you can add nuts, coconut or toffee to a chocolate chip cookie recipe or use only 1/2 the salt or replace the vanilla with almond extract etc.,... you can do the same with each layer in your action...adjust and tweak it to make it yours.

Someone else made the recipe... wanted to share it with you... enjoy it.
    What a great example, Mary,....perfect for me!!! Alright. I won't worry about it anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Hello Katy
    The last image is really gorgeous Very nice.
    I never thought - silly me - one could get such beautiful pictures from iPhoto. I have to try it some day.
    Cheers
    Antonio! I'm so glad that you took a look! But....you don't like the one with the texture and/or action as well as the "original"? sigh. Oh, dear. Thanks! Your opinion is always worth knowing!

Oh, and iphoto? It's like any camera or program - once you get to know it, you learn how to make it work the best it can for you.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    What a great example, Mary,....perfect for me!!! Alright. I won't worry about it anymore!
    Good. I'm glad, Katy. Have fun.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Katy

I'm sorry but i have to be honest with you. I mis-understood your post and thought that you had processed image 1 into 3 (not the other way around). If you think about it, this would have been a fairly impressive transformation. However it is now clear to me you were on a completely different tack. (I told you I was a novice with PP ) The effect you achieved would be nice on say a wedding card or somewhere else where a softer subtle image was approriate. Maybe it's a male thing to go for crispness and sharpness ? Looks like I'm in the dog house with hubby

As Mary says, you certainly shouldn't be worried about "cheating" with this processing.

Regards Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi Katy

I'm sorry but i have to be honest with you. I mis-understood your post and thought that you had processed image 1 into 3 (not the other way around). If you think about it, this would have been a fairly impressive transformation. However it is now clear to me you were on a completely different tack. (I told you I was a novice with PP ) The effect you achieved would be nice on say a wedding card or somewhere else where a softer subtle image was approriate. Maybe it's a male thing to go for crispness and sharpness ? Looks like I'm in the dog house with hubby

As Mary says, you certainly shouldn't be worried about "cheating" with this processing.

Regards Dave
    Even though I'm dying to go to sleep, I just have to let you off the hook, Dave, and say that, of course, what you saw makes perfect sense.... sigh!

Well, I think that I need some constructive criticism in how to make this image softer and more antiqued and more to "everyone's" liking. (No lectures on 'you can't please everyone', please! You know what I mean!) Maybe, I'll have another go at it, tomorrow, and see what I come up with. 'night!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Hello Katy

Cheers
    Antonio, I know you have very good collection of photographs taken with iPhoto, why are you not posting it here to have comments on it

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
    Antonio, I know you have very good collection of photographs taken with iPhoto, why are you not posting it here to have comments on it
    Sorry Ashwin but what I have - and only a few - are photos taken with the iPhone.
    I am not very found of it. I use it often as a phone

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Katy, I'm afraid I can't help you much with actions/textures and since, as you said you can't please everyone so I'm just going to start with your husband because I do agree with him about the finished version looking a bit washed out. So in the spirit of addressing that aspect I'll offer this little variation. Basically, it just starts with the finished version and adds a touch of vibrance and saturation on the flowers themselves, which creates an added benefit (well, that's just my take anyway ) of warming it up a little. The only other thing was blurring the background a little to help the flowers stand out.

I haven't ever played with actions and textures, so when I get a chance I'll look into that and see if I can use it to improve what I did to it. This is just one take on it but I hope he likes it.

Actions and Textures