Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How to attack Antelope Canyon, AZ?

How to attack Antelope Canyon, AZ?

Hi, new user here! I'm sure many of you are familiar with Antelope Canyon in Arizona. If not, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Canyon.

I'll be visiting in July and I wanted to hear your opinions on the best way to attack the really large dynamic range I'll find in that canyon (preferably without HDR in photoshop). I have a Canon Rebel XSi with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. I have a tripod and a GND filter as well.

What I'm thinking is closing down to f11-f16 and using a long exposure. I really don't know what ISO to use here. Is the only way to truly capture the whole scene with HDR? How many images should I take for the HDR in photoshop? What settings would you use to capture this scene? Thanks for all your help!

rob marshall

Re: How to attack Antelope Canyon, AZ?

I can't face rocks today - I watched 127 Hours last night, and I nearly had to leave the room in the last 10 mins! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/

If you have a tripod I'd just go for long exposures - there isn't going to be much moving (and hopefully not a falling rock). You might find a flash-gun useful too for filling in shadows. Do you have one?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: How to attack Antelope Canyon, AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by vokey588 View Post
    What I'm thinking is closing down to f11-f16 and using a long exposure. I really don't know what ISO to use here. Is the only way to truly capture the whole scene with HDR? How many images should I take for the HDR in photoshop? What settings would you use to capture this scene? Thanks for all your help!
    Hi "vokey" (is that your name?)

I have no personal experience, but I'd suggest keeping the iso low.

Make sure you get a good exposure (i.e. don't blow the highlights, but also don't under expose either. Then you can use the Fill Light control to bring up the shadows in PP.

If bracketing (e.g. for HDR), shoot 3 images, two stops apart.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....,