Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Window

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

The Window

I took this shot when visiting Chatsworth House in England. I have always liked it but I'm not sure why. It has near perfect symmetry but not quite. Does it have any appeal to others or am I looking at it through rose coloured glasses ?

The Window

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Janis

Re: The Window

Hi Dave,

I can tell you what I like about it. My eye is drawn first to the lovely scene through the window, but then it is caught by the vertical line of the cord, which it travels down to the neat coil on the sill and then to the metal bowl, the dark velvet curtains, and the gilt molding on the wall, giving me a sense of the atmosphere of two places at once. It has a certain mood and it is easy to imagine myself standing there.

I confess I had trouble making out what is in the center pane of the window; now I see that it is the figure of a person and a mostly hidden statue. I think it would have been better if they weren't there, or more of the statue were showing. My opinion only. I would also like to see the pedestal of the bowl.

To me, Dave, the top seems 'cut off' and lost in space. If I scroll up until the top of your photo is against the edge of my screen it looks a lot better.

I just wonder about putting a frame around it to 'finish' and confine the top. Obviously not black, so perhaps something greyish. Maybe some of the people who regularly add frames can suggest something which would blend in well.

rob marshall

Dave

Chatsworth is a beautiful house and estate. I think you came close to capturing some of it here. I think the view through the window needs more contrast, which I added below. The Greek elbow and the day-tripper on the lawn are a bit distracting - I might have moved to the right a bit, and got the wife to go out with a chainsaw (for the statue, not the day-tripper)

The Window

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Janis, thanks for your comments. I probably didn't spend much time framing that shot and I agree it would have been better to have a bit more of the bowl. You know I didn't even notice the person in the background - age is taking it's toll I think.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Geoff thanks for your comments. If you view this in lightbox, you get a fine grey border and I think this illustrates that what you say is correct about the addition of a frame.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Rob thanks for yor comments. I think the extra contrast does improve it. Yes I missed the distractions near the centre tree. The chainsaw is one solution - or perhaps a new set of specs and a dose of vitamins to sharpen up the old brain

The estate is beautiful and so is the surrounding countryside.

Cheers Dave