Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Why you really do need to shoot RAW

rob marshall

Why you really do need to shoot RAW

The RAW - straight out of the camera.

After RAW processing. You can see the settings on the right. I also adjusted the tone curve settings to get much more contrast.

And some final processing in CS5 - applied Jiro's layer technique. There is no dodging/burning, sharpening, no manipulation. As you can see, most of the effective change was done in RAW edit.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Re: Why you really do need to shoot RAW

I have been playing with Jiro's technique all day. Not sure if I mastered it as of yet. I was also using the same photo you posted. preaching to the choir. Nice example.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Rob,

Nice colourful shot - although if I had to comment on something, I'd probably have to say that the blues are just a touch too over-saturated for my taste (they just seem a little over-dominant compared to the other more subtle (but still strong) colours).

In terms of RAW -v- JPEG, in all honestly, if I had the option to remove JPEG and replace it with DNG in my camera setup options, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Rob,
    Nice colourful shot - although if I had to comment on something, I'd probably have to say that the blues are just a touch too over-saturated for my taste (they just seem a little over-dominant compared to the other more subtle (but still strong) colours).
    The blues are a little over-cooked. I think I did it deliberately to show what can be done. The actual colours as I saw them when shooting where more like the finished edit than the RAW. It was a beautiful pre-sunset light and the colours really came through.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    In terms of RAW -v- JPEG, in all honestly, if I had the option to remove JPEG andreplace it with DNG in my camera setup options, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
    JPEG is OK for quick shots, but I think if you want to produce a quality looking image you stand a better chance with RAW/DNG. That chance goes up considerably if the image needs more editing. I doubt that if I had shot the above with JPEG I would have got it looking like that without some serious image distortion. Here's a screen print at 250%. I didn't run any noise reduction on this.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by KTHXBAI View Post
    I have been playing with Jiro's technique all day. Not sure if I mastered it as of yet. I was also using the same photo you posted. preaching to the choir. Nice example.
    What are you using for the BW layer? Do you have SEP2?

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern
    if I had the option to remove JPEG and replace it with DNG in my camera setup options, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
    I differ here a bit. Jpeg comes in handy when other people in your group (on a tour, some party etc.) want the copies of ALL the images IMMEDIATELY!
    I shoot RAW+Basic.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    I differ here a bit. Jpeg comes in handy when other people in your group (on a tour, some party etc.) want the copies of ALL the images IMMEDIATELY!
    I shoot RAW+Basic.

And, perhaps, when they want them immediately uploaded to Facebook via their smart phones!

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    And, perhaps, when they want them immediately uploaded to Facebook via their smart phones!
    Haha! Yes...
    And I was surprised to hear that some college kids even pay to get their pictures clicked, just because they want to upload it on their facebook accounts

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    What are you using for the BW layer? Do you have SEP2?
    I was just using CS5. I think I may be doing something wrong though... However my images do look a little better.