Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Monastery

Real Name
    Javier

Monastery

Nice combination of architecture and landscaping.

Monastery

Monastery

Monastery

rob marshall

Re: Monastery

Will no one comment on this? We have a new member who is an Oblate, and his thread was just below this. Comment?

Real Name
    Jaime

There great photos very clear. I like how in the last one you showed where you were taking it from by showing that poll it adds to the pic a lot... I am new to so I'm not sure how you made this... please tell me.

-Jaimes 12 years-

Real Name
    Javier

Jaimes: I was shooting from a corridor in front of a glass, and then I tried to get close to the glass to avoid reflection and control the shutter speed avoiding flash uses.
    In the first picture you can see the glassing covering the entire corridor.

Real Name
    John Wright

Rob.. I looked at these photos yesterday and they threw me a bit tbh and I didn't like to ask. I wondered how it came to be taken there, also why it has what appears to me to be film strip edging on the right side, where is it because Javier is shown here as living in Florida and to the best of my knowledge Florida isn't a place I associate with monasteries and the hillside doesn't fit Florida either-so a mystery all round-then you mentioned the name oblate (how did you know that ?) I've never heard of that word - I know now.I've just asked my very knowledgeable wife and she didn't know either.

Javier. Where is the monastery and do you live there ? It was strange looking at the photos because the gardens are beautiful and the buildings very attractive but no-one around and they gave a sense of orderliness, not a tourists shot obviously. Maybe you could clone out the pillar in the last one,the eye goes straight to it and also those film strip edgings. The colours are very vibrant, strong .I liked the photos but they made me pause for thought (as mentioned above). Maybe you could post some shots from the outside or go up that hill behind and take a few looking down on it too and of the surrounding area.

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Will no one comment on this? We have a new member who is an Oblate, and his thread was just below this. Comment?
    Mmm...looks to me that you were in the guest wing of this monastery, but like JohnC I would like to know where it is and if possible what the monk's Order is. It is very 'touristy' and it looks like this is the public area rather than where the monks spend there leisure time. If I had not known otherwise I would have said it was a hotel! Nice images and colours though.
    Andrew

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Javier,

I think you applied the 'torn out spiral bound book page' effect in PP, presummably along with the saturation and softness - is this an effect filter?

I do like the compositions, although in #3, the pillar, and especially the lightning conductor, doesn't contribute in a positive manner. However, since you were behind glass, that stopped you leaning forward enough to get a better view in this case, which is a shame.

Cheers,

Real Name
    John Wright

Dave-I didn't realise the photos were taken from behind glass..I'm trying very hard to see how you were able to establish that. I saw another photo today (after these) that Javier took at a baseball game so I can assume he was a visitor here. Looking forward to his reply.

I'm still confused re. Rob's new member Oblate (religious lay-person or cleric associated/affiliated with a religious Order) comment and couldn't find the thread below this one he referred to.
    Last edited by JohnC; 20th June 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Real Name
    Javier

Thanks for all your comments!
    I was a guess of this beautiful piece of art from XVI-XVII century located in Cusco – Peru; then could not stop my feelings to record that location practicing with my camera (Nikon 3100).
    I used the left edging film with the idea of balance the picture, although, I always use the film strip in both sides as you will recognize in my others posting, but in this case, those frame were too much.
    The white band around the pillar is silicone from the glass and during my shooting used the pillar with the idea to have a reference element and then looking for an angle to reduce the light reflected.

Those were very casual tourist pictures, so I posted three of them to tell a history about this beautiful location.

Indeed, I live in Florida and indeed it was a monastery, beside this place taught me another photography lesson.

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks, Javier. I'm new on here and hadn't seen any other photos of yours with the strip but will now recognise that it's your 'signature' border .

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    ...I'm still confused re. Rob's new member Oblate (religious lay-person or cleric associated/affiliated with a religious Order) comment and couldn't find the thread below this one he referred to.
    John you commented on my photograph Poppies

Andrew

Real Name
    John Wright

Of course .Now I see.The clue's in the name. Thanks, Andrew.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Dave-I didn't realise the photos were taken from behind glass..I'm trying very hard to see how you were able to establish that.
    Only the last one John, and I was going by Javier's reply in post #4.

I was wrong about the lightning conductor I can see it now for what it is

Cheers,

Real Name
    John Wright

Ok Dave Lol. I think we've sorted all the ins and outs of this thread. I don't easily let things go

So...
    1. Javier isn't an Oblate- Andrew is.(Bede ?)
    2. the 'Monastery' is in Cusco,Peru...infact it's a hotel now.
    3. The 'lightning conductor' is a strip of silicone

Andrew..You'll get all your answers here. You were, infact,right.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ho...s.html?image=2