Seascape at night

Seascape at night

Seascape at night

Seascape at night

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Seascape at night

Hi Tareq,

I'm not sure if you've got a lens or a PP issue here, but the images are appearing very soft - I'm guessing that you're not applying much capture and creative sharpening in your workflow?

Hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of making a few minor adjustments to see what you think ...

- Used Lens corection filter to remove barreling

- Rotated image by 0.2 deg to level horizon

- Cropped to squareup a little after step 1 (and removed a bit of dead area at the bottom)

- Applied a USM of 0.6 pixel @ 150% (0 threshold), and

- Using LAB colour, steepened the A & B curves 1 division (but reduced to only 70% opacity

What do you think?

Seascape at night

On a side note, I saw that you shot this at F8 - if you stop down a couple more stops then you can get a very nice star effect around lights that can really add to the image, eg ...

Seascape at night

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Tareq,

I'm not sure if you've got a lens or a PP issue here, but the images are appearing very soft - I'm guessing that you're not applying much capture and creative sharpening in your workflow?

Hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of making a few minor adjustments to see what you think ...

- Used Lens corection filter to remove barreling

- Rotated image by 0.2 deg to level horizon

- Cropped to squareup a little after step 1 (and removed a bit of dead area at the bottom)

- Applied a USM of 0.6 pixel @ 150% (0 threshold), and

- Using LAB colour, steepened the A & B curves 1 division (but reduced to only 70% opacity

What do you think?

On a side note, I saw that you shot this at F8 - if you stop down a couple more stops then you can get a very nice star effect around lights that can really add to the image, eg ...
    Thank you very much for your comments and critiques and your edit, it is nice.

Yes, i didn't apply any sharpening on the shots, and it is soft maybe due to the long shutter speed.

about the star light effect it is very easy, i have many many shots with that star effect, i will show them later someday.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 5th March 2009 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Remove Quoted Images

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Tareq Alhemrani View Post
    Yes, i didn't apply any sharpening on the shots, and it is soft maybe due to the long shutter speed.
    Hi Tareq,

If you haven't done any sharpening then that's probably the problem - long exposures won't cause any unsharpness in theing that don't move (like rocks) unless there's camera movement.

Hi Tareq,

If you haven't done any sharpening then that's probably the problem - long exposures won't cause any unsharpness in theing that don't move (like rocks) unless there's camera movement.
    Are you sure they are soft?
    In my computer they look sharp and fine, and i posted on another website and they never told me that they are soft.

but anyway, if these shots are soft then the only reason will be the movement in camera [maybe it was windy day that time].

Real Name

Are you sure they are soft?
    In my computer they look sharp and fine, and i posted on another website and they never told me that they are soft.

but anyway, if these shots are soft then the only reason will be the movement in camera [maybe it was windy day that time].
    Are you looking at the originals or the down-sampled ones from the website? - If you sharpen and then down-sample then they need to be re-sharpened; also, many websites compress them quite agressively to save bandwidth and space and that can also cause a loss of sharpness.

What I'm seeing here (even with my reading glasses on!) is definately sub-optimal, especially in the low-frequency components where they'd benefit from a USM with a lower-amount but higher radius.

Are you looking at the originals or the down-sampled ones from the website? - If you sharpen and then down-sample then they need to be re-sharpened; also, many websites compress them quite agressively to save bandwidth and space and that can also cause a loss of sharpness.

What I'm seeing here (even with my reading glasses on!) is definately sub-optimal, especially in the low-frequency components where they'd benefit from a USM with a lower-amount but higher radius.
    As i said, i did apply any sharpening on them, so ofcourse i can add sharpness on them, and i always resize my photos and work on resized photos and sharpness is last step.

Anyway, i just shared those photos, and also i was just testing at night, i am not happy with the results even, the weather here is not good for photography, humidity is a big enemy to us here, and the heat may affect the colors temp as well.

Real Name

As i said, i did apply any sharpening on them, so of course i can add sharpness on them, and i always resize my photos and work on resized photos and sharpness is last step.
    Not sure which you're meaning here, but it sounds like you've got it all under control, so I'll leave you to it

All the best,

Not sure which you're meaning here, but it sounds like you've got it all under control, so I'll leave you to it

All the best,
    Sorry, i mean i didn't apply any sharpening, typing mistake.
    Thanks for the comments!