Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moonshine

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Moonshine

The other evening I looked out the window and the moon was rising up along the left flank of Mount Shasta. I grabbed my camera gear and got some shots.

Chuck

In this shot the almost full moon is very near the top of the mountain. It was evening but still essentially daylight so I was able to expose for the mountain and moon in one shot. I wasn’t so wild about the color shot so I converted to black and white and selected the moon and adjusted contrast and sharpness.

Moonshine

This is the night after the first shot, I was out on the hillside with 400mm and 1.4 extender all ready for the moon but it didn’t come up until after dark. I was able to get a shot as it rose behind the highest peak of Mount Shasta but the mountain was dark so all I could do was get a silhouette.

Moonshine

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Moonshine

Good work on image #1, Chuck. I know it's hard to take images of the moon and I have to say you've done a good job keeping the detail on both the moon and the mountain.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thanks Jiro

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

That really is a single shot? Awesome shots, Chuck.

Real Name
    Cheri

Your moon shots are great. The second shot looks like someone took a bite out of the moon.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    That really is a single shot?
    Thanks Sahil and Cherl. When the moon and foreground are in full daylight you can expose for both in one shot. After it gets dark the moon is still in daylight so you need to expose accordingly. Because it's dark all around the moon your camera and many people think they need to open the lens or slow the shutter speed to compensate for the dark and blow the detail out of the moon. When shooting the moon after dark I can sometimes spot meter but usually go manual.

Chuck