Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My First Engagement Photos!

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

My First Engagement Photos!

It was fun, challenging, weird feeling, and I was sweating!

This is my first engagement photos and would love for you guys to critique me to help me improve my technique. I always thank this website for this is where I learned a lot on how to use my camera! (Specially Collin's Portrait tutorials!)

But here are my first observations:
    I should have speed up my shutter speed, (IS saved my butt on some images)
    I did end up with few nice images but at 100% the faces where not sharp

Here's a link of my flickr set

Re: My First Engagement Photos!

Hi, Chriss! i just have observations and thoughts.

Firstly, what a beautiful setting! May I challenge you, though, that these photos feel like they're more about the setting than about the couple? The stories of the photos seem to be landscapes with a loving couple hidden in them. Shouldn't the surroundings be very incidental and supporting the idea of the loving couple in a beautiful place in life - celebrating and all about their...."coupleness"? In other words, the people need to be more prominent, I think. Just my thoughts....

(...my thoughts that need more coffee to really fly along... oi!)
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 14th June 2011 at 12:42 PM.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Hi, Chriss! i just have observations and thoughts.

Firstly, what a beautiful setting! May I challenge you, though, that these photos feel like they're more about the setting than about the couple? The stories of the photos seem to be landscapes with a loving couple hidden in them. Shouldn't the surroundings be very incidental and supporting the idea of the loving couple in a beautiful place in life - celebrating and all about their...."coupleness"? In other words, the people need to be more prominent, I think. Just my thoughts....

(...my thoughts that need more coffee to really fly along... oi!)
    Thanks Katy. You got me to think more after reading your reply... and yes I need to add this to my notes that the couple need to be more prominent than the background. Another thing I have to add is the bride to be requested not to get too close because she was kinda conscious of her figure hehehehe. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to reason that out hehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovean View Post
    Another thing I have to add is the bride to be requested not to get too close because she was kinda conscious of her figure hehehehe. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to reason that out hehehehe.
    Oh, boy!!!

Yes, my first thoughts were much the same as Katy. Some of them seem more like landscapes plus a couple of figures added.

But the lighting is excellent and the couple are in sharp focus so I would just consider some slight crops on a few photos. Not too much though, you don't want to spoil the atmosphere.

I'm not sure if the phallac symbolism in the bottom left corner of #7 in your Flickr album was deliberate or just a Freudian thought on my weird mind.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I'm not sure if the phallac symbolism in the bottom left corner of #7 in your Flickr album was deliberate or just a Freudian thought on my weird mind.
    LOL, it's a metal weiner dog