Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Combined Images

Combined Images

Combined Images

Real Name
    Adrian

Re: Combined Images

Interesting. My response would be to question the purpose of the image and my reaction would depend on that.

My first reaction is that it looks rather like a postcard. Having the woman and the dolphin at two different scales is odd to me as a juxtaposition of subjects. That said, you have done the actual juxtaposition well.

The depth of field changes also look a bit odd to me, particularly where certain areas of water are in focus and others are not. If two images are to be joined like this, then maybe the depth of field in both of them needs to be very similar?

Kind regards

Adrian

Well, this is actually a picture of Mother on the right and daughter on the left....it came fron 2 pictures that were combined with the head of the fish in the back added in....the water colors were the hardest part to blend.....

It was put into one picture at their request for framing and hanging.....

Finally, I was posting the first time and more or less selected a recent sample image...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Hi Will, thanks for the post! I really like the near-far juxtaposition of the two photos. You had great contrasty light without being harsh at all on the faces. Was it bright and semi-overcast? Was a building blocking direct sun if not?

To me it seems like the obstacle you had to overcome with the combined photo is less about depth of field and more about the difference of perspective. The water texture on the daughter photo is much more coarse, whereas the mother photo is much finer with a higher concentration of ripples. That can be tricky, but you pulled it off well. There's a little bit of water ripple repetition from cloning on the top right, but overall pretty nice. I also think that they yellow life jackets really helps the color balance here...they go great with the light blue water. If they were red or some other color it might not have worked out as well...

Something else that played a trick on my eye the first time I saw it is that the dorsal fins on the dolphin near the mother were combined with the other photo in such a way that I initially thought the mother was holding onto the daughter's dolphin...

Well, 8:30 in morning, somewhat cloudy, F-5, 1/250

Funny about the fins........See the intermediate file before adding fish head 2..............
    Attached Images Attached Images

after reading the post by mrmcq i understood this whole combined pics effect so i can honestly say,that this pic has the signature style of mrsteven spielberg,special effects!!! i was never a great lover of different pics combining them together to get one single picbut this particular pic had me thinking quite a lot........great effort indeed

I like this piece a lot. Speaking from a rookie aspect my interest in shooting pictures stems from my hobby scrapbooking old family photographs and creating slideshows with background music. The work itself has emotional attachment and a piece like this is very very special to the subjects involved. I don't always think in terms of the here and now, but of what this work could mean to the subjects 20 or 30 years down the road when it induces memories of the actual event and the stories attached.

Awesome!!!!