Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Life and Death

Real Name
    Ron

Life and Death

Been under the weather all week and this is from my first chance to get out do something.Went to Rodman Dam after it rained and took this photo along with a few others that i'll post later.C&C very welcome.Thanks for viewing.

Life and Death
    ISO 800,f/8,1/100,116mm,PP in CS3.

rob marshall

Re: Life and Death

Ron

Very apposite. I was just reviewing some shots I did last week, and one was very similar to this, and I was struggling to find a title.

I think yours might have benefited from either more, or less DOF. The trunk is not quite in, or out of focus. Also, the twig look a little cramped in the BL corner - was the shot cropped? Good title!

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Ron

Very apposite. I was just reviewing some shots I did last week, and one was very similar to this, and I was struggling to find a title.

I think yours might have benefited from either more, or less DOF. The trunk is not quite in, or out of focus. Also, the twig look a little cramped in the BL corner - was the shot cropped? Good title!
    Thanks Rob.I was trying to get everything in focus but didn't want to apply to much sharpening in pp as i was concerned about it looking to processed.I also cropped the photo especially in the BL corner as there were other elements that i felt lent nothing to the photo.I also added a small black border to try and contain everything and got to close to the plant in that corner.Was thinking to myself(which can be a dangerous thing at times)during PP that i need to take my tripod with me when i go out to the dam to get images with more dof.Thaks again for the C&C...Ron.

I think, Ron, I would be tempted to try a closer crop which would remove a lot of that distracting out of focus wood at the top. And there is sufficient space to lose a corresponding amount from the right side.

Possibly leave that top leaf just clear of the edge. It seems to look a lot better when I hold some paper against the screen.

Just a thought.

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks for the comment Geoff.Here's a rework of the converted raw file with more space in the bottom left corner and a tighter crop in the upper right corner.Feel free to C&C on my rework.Also used a different pp approach.Thanks for viewing...Ron

Life and Death
    ISO 800,f/8,1/100,116mm,PP in CS3

To me, Ron, that is a totally different photo now; much improved.

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks Geoff and Rob for the input.I do like this image better than the first one also.Have others to fix elsewhere too.Thanks again...Ron

Real Name
    Marcus

Hi Ron,

very nice idea idea and a superb title! I do agree very much with Rob's suggestion. My choice would have been much less DoF- however, that's certainly a question of individual taste.

Cheers,

Marcus

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by another Marcus View Post
    Hi Ron,

very nice idea idea and a superb title! I do agree very much with Rob's suggestion. My choice would have been much less DoF- however, that's certainly a question of individual taste.

Cheers,

Marcus
    Thanks Marcus.I going to make a return trip sometime soon and bring my tripod this time.