Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Going back to JPEG

Real Name
    David

Going back to JPEG

Hi all,

In the last year I started shooting more seriously in RAW, I tried several programs to process the RAW files (I am on Linux operating system, so it is difficult to find a good one that works as I want it to work) and finally bought Bibble. Now a few months I have decided I go back to JPEG.
    I know I have more control with RAW, and can get better images, but a few weeks ago I came back with some photos I shot with RAW + basic JPEG and I couldn't get the colours of the RAW file the same, or better as the JPEG.
    I still like working with RAW, but it just takes to much time for me (probably until I find some presets I like)

Another reason for now is that I am going on holiday next week and only can get 10GB of card space with me (I don't have more, and I can't buy more because I already spend too much on camera gear and software this year... Zoom lens in January, Bibble this spring, prime lens last Friday, one extra card 8GB, workshop) so it is 'better' to use JPEG because of the file size. And the photos of last years holidays are still undeveloped (they where shot in RAW).

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Re: Going back to JPEG

As a relative beginner, I can relate to this. I still shoot everything in raw and especially like using the raw converter but I am frustrated at all the PP work I have to do to get colors that are truly vibrant; usually the result appears a bit unnatural. Actually I feel that the blander colors I get from raw ARE more natural; i.e., the vibrant colors that attract favor are not that vibrant in real life but they are what people want to see. I do have trouble producing them when shooting in raw, though.

rob marshall

Re: Going back to JPEG

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    As a relative beginner, I can relate to this. I still shoot everything in raw and especially like using the raw converter but I am frustrated at all the PP work I have to do to get colors that are truly vibrant; usually the result appears a bit unnatural. Actually I feel that the blander colors I get from raw ARE more natural; i.e., the vibrant colors that attract favor are not that vibrant in real life but they are what people want to see. I do have trouble producing them when shooting in raw, though.
    Excellent points, Lon. People are always saying that my colour shots are so vibrant and colourful. The reality, as you say, is often quite different. And yes, people do often want to see the stronger colours, probably because it just causes a bigger 'hit' in the brain. Here's one I shot recently. I have boosted the colours quite a lot in PS-CS5. It doesn't look much like the actual scene, but it does look better.

Going back to JPEG