Sharjah Beach

Waterscapes 1

HDR

Another shot "Non HDR" is here for comparison

Waterscapes 1

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Waterscapes 1

Both shots are quite nice, Tareq, and both look very natural.

However, it is a shame about the significant barrel distortion bending the horizon in #1 though

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Both shots are quite nice, Tareq, and both look very natural.

However, it is a shame about the significant barrel distortion bending the horizon in #1 though

Regards,
    Thank you very much Dave!

Yes, too bad, and that's why i use wide angle lenses more than ultra wide lenses, i don't like to correct the distortion by Photoshop all the time, and if i do that then i have to be careful to crop or fill the unwanted spaces created by this correcting/fixing.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Thank you very much Dave!

Yes, too bad, and that's why i use wide angle lenses more than ultra wide lenses, i don't like to correct the distortion by Photoshop all the time, and if i do that then i have to be careful to crop or fill the unwanted spaces created by this correcting/fixing.
    You're welcome.

I hadn't thought too hard about the act of correcting requiring even pixels, in other words; a wider shot still, it's a vicious cicle, because the even wider shot will probably have even more distortion. I suppose the only way is to accept that the usable angle of view is going to be, say 20% less than what you see through the viewfinder.

I hadn't realised it is a lot like correcting converging verticals in PP, you always waste an enormous amout of the foreground, usually you end up cropping off what you thought was part of the composition!

You're welcome.

I hadn't thought too hard about the act of correcting requiring even pixels, in other words; a wider shot still, it's a vicious cicle, because the even wider shot will probably have even more distortion. I suppose the only way is to accept that the usable angle of view is going to be, say 20% less than what you see through the viewfinder.

I hadn't realised it is a lot like correcting converging verticals in PP, you always waste an enormous amout of the foreground, usually you end up cropping off what you thought was part of the composition!
    OK, in all cases i bought that ultra wide lenses to use it, so if this issue will annoying or stopping me then i shouldn't buy any UWA lenses from beginning.

In fact that distortion never bothering me at all, just only if i have to show them on the forums/websites or use it in competitions then i must correct it before, so weird!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    OK, in all cases i bought that ultra wide lenses to use it, so if this issue will annoying or stopping me then i shouldn't buy any UWA lenses from beginning.

In fact that distortion never bothering me at all, just only if i have to show them on the forums/websites or use it in competitions then i must correct it before, so weird!
    No worries Tareq,

I didn't want to spoil things for you, although you're right about correcting for serious competitions, but for forum use, when you post, if you just acknowledge the problem, we'll know there's no point mentioning it again.

It's not that big a deal to me, and now I appreciate the problem more than I did before we started, so I have learnt from the exchange of posts.

Thanks,

No worries Tareq,

I didn't want to spoil things for you, although you're right about correcting for serious competitions, but for forum use, when you post, if you just acknowledge the problem, we'll know there's no point mentioning it again.

It's not that big a deal to me, and now I appreciate the problem more than I did before we started, so I have learnt from the exchange of posts.

Thanks,
    Good, just wait more shots from me, i have more to show

And welcome!

Two Potentially nice images, distortion on the first spoils what could be nice, what lens were you using to get as much as this?

Second the water looks nice with the coast leading you towards the horizon

Lincs1

Quote Originally Posted by Lincs1 View Post
    Two Potentially nice images, distortion on the first spoils what could be nice, what lens were you using to get as much as this?

Second the water looks nice with the coast leading you towards the horizon

Lincs1
    The lens was: Canon EF 16-35L

Thanks!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincs1 View Post
    With the EF16-35/2.8 you can get a little barrel distortion if the horizon is too close to the top of the frame, but I think an unlevel horizon is probably the cause of most of what you're seeing.

Compositions like this can be a bit tricky because when the waterline is going further and further away from you it'll rise up towards to the top of the frame (with the amount being a function of the elevation of the camera) ... and to complicate things more, the rocks on the horizon will get lower and lower the closer they get to the sea - and I suspect that these two things are giving a false horizon, which is what the shot has been leveled to. Occasionally I'll do some minor geometric adjustments when using this lens, but normally it's not needed.