Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: It's time to get grim again, chaps...

rob marshall

It's time to get grim again, chaps...

Tulips, puppy-dogs, milky water, pretty girls... enough!!!

This is Port Talbot. It could be worse.

The jetty at the steel works pond.

A place to play... and work

Outside the Philco convenience store

Across the pond

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: It's time to get grim again, chaps...

I'd say "bring back the tulips!". Hahaha! Just kidding. I like #4 but wanting some more detail on the foreground. Its darkness seems to prevent me from exploring the shot more beyond the shrubs. Was this done with the help of SEP 2?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Its darkness seems to prevent me from exploring the shot more beyond the shrubs. Was this done with the help of SEP 2?
    Yes, SEP2. I thought the dark area in BR corner matched the TL area of dark sky. But then I would.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Yes, SEP2. I thought the dark area in BR corner matched the TL area of dark sky. But then I would.
    It looks darker to me here. I seem to have the impression of it as a barricade. Maybe, by raising its exposure value I can take away this idea in my mind.

Real Name
    Steve

In the Philco; would it be better to have the fence straight and higher, I mean closer. Don't know about the others but I like #3. Where is Port Talbot? Is it near Swansea?

It is a long time since I've been anywhere; but if it is it is not recommended for carrying expensive stuff in view because of the travellers.

The Internet age guarantees any question is stupid; I was thinking of the steelworks in Newport but Port Talbot is near Swansea anyway.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    In the Philco; would it be better to have the fence straight and higher, I mean closer. Don't know about the others but I like #3. Where is Port Talbot? Is it near Swansea?

It is a long time since I've been anywhere; but if it is it is not recommended for carrying expensive stuff in view because of the travellers.

The Internet age guarantees any question is stupid; I was thinking of the steelworks in Newport but Port Talbot is near Swansea anyway.
    Steve

Yes, Port Talbot is near Swansea. Despite the size of the steel plant, it's actually very hard to get near it for Photography. It's a very poor area, compared to the rest of the UK.

This is Port Talbot. It could be worse.
    Yep..It could be Sheffield. The third shot really captures the mood and there is something poetic about the fence as a barrier to the industrial. Yeah OK its to stop the locals from nicking the wheels of your Focus RS when you nip in for 20 Benny Hedges....but there is something poetic in that too....I suppose

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Yep..It could be Sheffield. The third shot really captures the mood and there is something poetic about the fence as a barrier to the industrial. Yeah OK its to stop the locals from nicking the wheels of your Focus RS when you nip in for 20 Benny Hedges....but there is something poetic in that too....I suppose
    Eee, lad, thous knowest nowt when cums te geograffy. Sheffield! ut place t'is fer nancies frum oop north. Now.. Port Talbot, boyo, (notice the seamless switch in local vernacular), there's a right good place. Tidy like! You see that bag in the water, boyo? Welsh hope is in there!

What about a song?

rob marshall

Steve

My humble apologies for the gross misrepresentation of culture anywhere north of Birmingham Zoo. It's a long time since I read Lady Chatterley's Lover, and as a consequence my knowledge of Northern dialect is severely lacking in fluency. Anyway. I only read the mucky bits. Pages 43...57-59, 128...

Eee, lad, thous knowest nowt when cums te geograffy. Sheffield! ut place t'is fer nancies frum oop north. Now.. Port Talbot, boyo, (notice the seamless switch in local vernacular), there's a right good place. Tidy like! You see that bag in the water, boyo? Welsh hope is in there!
    2/10 must try harder. Young Rob spends far too much time daydreaming and gazing through the viewfinder when he should be paying attention in his dialect classes.

Far more Bolton than Sheffield but there is hope for you yet. Your homework for tonight is to watch the complete works of Johnny Vegas....twice. If you are good I will consider moving you onto Peter Kaye. In the meantime you need to work on the Northern 'look'

Do Welshmen really say "Boyo" I thought it was in the same vein as "Och aye the noo" - an English titter titillater for utterance at cheese and wine parties

What about a song?
    I'd rather you didn't old chap And that photograph needs no accompaniment it stands alone big time.

Anyway. I only read the mucky bits. Pages 43...57-59, 128...
    didn't we all?

rob marshall

Your homework for tonight is to watch the complete works of Johnny Vegas....twice.
    God! that is soooo prescient. I am actually watching a double dose of Johnny Vegas tonight. Judy and I are re-watching Bleak House (script by a Welshman - Andrew Davies), and Vegas plays a brilliant Mr Krook. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442632/ Actually, I only watch it for Gillian Anderson (deep swoon)

Do Welshmen really say "Boyo"
    No idea. I don't speak Welsh.

Vegas plays a brilliant Mr Krook
    Indeed. The more I hear from Vegas the more I believe he is one of those rare geniuses whose dialogue belies his perception.