Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Last word on colour management for now at least.

Real Name
    Gary Marsh

Last word on colour management for now at least.

Can anyone please tell me if when viewing my image files using Windows Vista and going into My Pictures folder, when I right click on my image file to view it's properties and open the Details tab should the information on Colour Representation say sRGB next to it if I have assigned a sRGB profile during my editing?

This may seem a trivial question to ask but my reason for this is - when I edit my pictures using Nikon Capture NX2 I have assigned a sRGB profile to my saved Tiff files but when I come to view them in Windows Photo Gallery in the properties of the image on the details tab it say's Colour Representation - Uncalibrated. But When I edit my photos in Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and save my images it always shows the profile that will be assigned to the image that being: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in the Save As dialogue box. Then when i view my saved images in Windows after using Adobe Elements in the Details tab it shows up as Colour Representation - sRGB next to it.

My main point is that I am not sure if my Nikon software is saving my sRGB profile to my images but it seems that the Adobe software is assigning one.
    I would be grateful for any comments on this matter
    Kind Regards
    Gary

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Last word on colour management for now at least.

Hi Gary,

I can't see any reason why there would be a difference in what Windows was reporting if the profile was in fact correctly associated with the image file.

On a more positive side, most software will assume sRGB anyway if it's not explicitly specified -- and some will even use sRGB even if something else is explicitly specificed.

Can't help specifically with NX2 unfortunately, as I don't use it.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Gary Marsh

Hi Colin,
    Thank you for your reply to my question on colour management it is most appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Gary

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMarsh View Post
    Hi Colin,
    Thank you for your reply to my question on colour management it is most appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Gary
    No worries Gary - hope you get NX2 sorted.

I believe a few here use it, so you might like to post a question specific to it?

Real Name
    Tim

Gary

This works on a Mac: I assume it will work under Windows since Elements 9 is pretty well universal.

Open the image in Elements 9 after you've edited in Nikon Capture.
    Make sure before you do, that the Color Settings, (under Edit menu) is set to something other than 'no color management'* - for example, 'optimise for printing'.
    With the file open, choose File/File Info/Advanced/Adobe Photoshop Properties. There'll be an entry that will show you the ICC profile if one is attached to the file.
    I know that some Windows applications are not fully colour managed: Nikon Capture and PSE are OK. Not sure about Windows Photo Gallery - maybe it assumes sRGB no matter what, as Colin suggests.

Cheers

Tim

*PS if the 'no color management' option is set, PS will strip any ICCprofile