Thread: Big Boys.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Big Boys.

Thank you very much for viewing.

Click the image to view it in lightbox.
    Big Boys.

--------
    Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens, Processed in LR 3.

Real Name
    John

Re: Big Boys.

Funny, nice candid.

Real Name

Thanks, John. I'm glad the humor came across.

Real Name
    John Wright

I got it too - very good title. The first thing that struck me though was the variety of colour and strong colours too. I'm not into 'people' photos,Jiro most of my photos don't have people in them but someone on this US trip this time suggested I put a few in for perspective etc. and yes, they do make a difference. A friend of mine goes down town here and just walks round photographing people and sometimes he asks if they wouldn't mind and most seem only too happy - there you go Lol.but I feel like I'm intruding.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I got it too - very good title. The first thing that struck me though was the variety of colour and strong colours too. I'm not into 'people' photos,Jiro most of my photos don't have people in them but someone on this US trip this time suggested I put a few in for perspective etc. and yes, they do make a difference. A friend of mine goes down town here and just walks round photographing people and sometimes he asks if they wouldn't mind and most seem only too happy - there you go Lol.but I feel like I'm intruding.
    It happens. Shoot where you are comfortable with, mate. From my study, I noticed that images with human element inside the frame tends to have a stronger impact to the viewers compared to shots without in general. When I compared an award winning landscape image with one taken by another photographer but with a guy at the scene, I tend to favor the latter though it did not win from the judges point of view. Sometimes, going out of our comfort zone would give us shots that we might not possibly imagine that we could do.

Real Name
    John Wright

Yes, agree...we shouldn't live forever within our comfort zone, with little changing. I'll bear it in mind when the next opportunity arises.

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Hello Jiro,
    It is quite a treat to watch your photos...
    I was just wondering if it would be appropriate to have a small thumbnail of SOOC, so that one can appreciate the hard work you have put in (apart from clicking at right moment)...
    Take care,
    Gurvinder ..

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by gurvinder77 View Post
    Hello Jiro,
    It is quite a treat to watch your photos...
    I was just wondering if it would be appropriate to have a small thumbnail of SOOC, so that one can appreciate the hard work you have put in (apart from clicking at right moment)...
    Take care,
    Gurvinder ..
    Here you go, Gurvinder:
    Big Boys.

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Here you go, Gurvinder:
    Thanks for posting Jiro...
    The more I see your photos, the more I feel fascinated by the world of PP...
    You do an enviable job...
    Good luck, take care...
    Gurvinder...

Real Name

Just don't forget to shoot in RAW so you have more leverage during the editing process. Honestly, it would probably be very hard for me understand the beauty of enhancing an image on the post-processing without the intuitive interface of Lightroom. I'm not advertising them here but they sure did a pretty good job helping any photographer out there bring out the best from their image using this nice piece of software. If I am not mistaken, the Adobe Team who designed Lightroom really started from scratch designing its interface then borrowed some important features from photoshop to incorporate in there.

Real Name
    Abhi

Well captured, Jiro. Are they both wearing Longhorns gear (cap and t-shirt)?

Can you comment a bit on how you process texture? I find it amazing how much detail you were able to pull out on the road, as well as the grass/trees in the background.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Well captured, Jiro. Are they both wearing Longhorns gear (cap and t-shirt)?

Can you comment a bit on how you process texture? I find it amazing how much detail you were able to pull out on the road, as well as the grass/trees in the background.
    The SECRET is in the RAW file. Use the recovery slider to bring back the texture from the road and lower down the exposure just a little, tinny bit.

Real Name
    Abhi

The SECRET is in the RAW file. Use the recovery slider to bring back the texture from the road and lower down the exposure just a little, tinny bit.
    Interesting. I probably don't play around with recovery slider as much as I should. Similar process for the grass in background? Playing with blacks slider instead of recovery?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Interesting. I probably don't play around with recovery slider as much as I should. Similar process for the grass in background? Playing with blacks slider instead of recovery?
    Nope. You can only push the black sliders by as much before you would notice some clipping on your RGB values. What I did is to adjust the contrast of which also affects the shadow areas. Basically adjusting the LR sliders is a balancing act. Play around with all the sliders until you get the idea which sliders affects the highlights and which sliders affects the shadow areas. Confusing? Not until you try it out yourself. Practice takes out the guessing game from anything.

Real Name
    Abhi

Nope. You can only push the black sliders by as much before you would notice some clipping on your RGB values. What I did is to adjust the contrast of which also affects the shadow areas. Basically adjusting the LR sliders is a balancing act. Play around with all the sliders until you get the idea which sliders affects the highlights and which sliders affects the shadow areas. Confusing? Not until you try it out yourself. Practice takes out the guessing game from anything.
    Thanks, Jiro. I took a few photos today morning that probably require processing for texture. Just some grass being dried on the road. Should be fun.