Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A little help here, please...

Real Name
    Chris

A little help here, please...

This is one of those shots i am afraid will never get anywhere. When I saw these gloves pinned up, I really saw a great image..well, in my head, anyway. Exposure was good, etc. but I am not sure if it makes it as an image, or should find its way to the circular file and chalked up to...oh well.

Conversely, shot at the same exposure but from a slightly different angle, I shot this pulley...granted, it is not the most exciting thing i've ever shot, but I think there is a great clarity in the image, both in color and B&W.

I would love comments on all three....maybe Iwas out in the sun too long today.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: A little help here, please...

I think you did a good job on all three chris. I prefer the b&w of the pulley.

Both subjects are well composed and exposed, but i just don't find either one that interesting. Nothing wrong with the shots, i just wouldn't want one of them on my wall.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

It would be nice if there is a secondary element or subject in the frame that would help tell a story about the main subject. On the first image, I was thinking that the color contrast is interesting but not enough to hold my attention. For the 2nd shot, the perspective is interesting but my mind is wanting something to complete the scene. If these two are part of a series of images then I guess these two would work as supportive shots to the whole story. Just my 2 cents, Chris.

As an ex commercial fisherman I was more interested to see how they have used line clips instead of clothes pegs to hang the gloves up to dry. Something which I never thought of.

It was quite a few years ago that we fished with lines like that but used similar stainless steel clips, although I never found any which came with an attached roller swivel. That is a great idea.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    As an ex commercial fisherman I was more interested to see how they have used line clips instead of clothes pegs to hang the gloves up to dry. Something which I never thought of.

It was quite a few years ago that we fished with lines like that but used similar stainless steel clips, although I never found any which came with an attached roller swivel. That is a great idea.
    I am learning so much about commercial fishing...last week it was snapper and tuna, this week, tuna and mahi. Next week, it will be swordfish, though they make it back in on Saturday so I can shoot...going out of town on the 18th. It's a working man's game out there and not for sissies...that's a hard working group of men...I always make sure I show them working, in a good light and seemingly energetic...never know when I'll be out there with them and I would much rather they were in a happy mood...know what I mean..

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

You apply sunscreen, I hope.

Hi,
    I like both coloured shots

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I take Jiro's point about the need to be 'telling a story'. If shooting gloves (can't believe I said that), it might be more interesting in terms of story development to show just one glove - mystery? Here's one that my wife took as an example.

Rob, around here when anybody finds something which has been accidentally dropped they always hang it up somewhere visible in the hope that the owner will return for it, just like your glove photo.

Does that happen in other areas?

Last week I found a hat on the pavement but when I tried it on 'the lights went out'! So I hung it up on the top corner of a public seat. Next time I passed it had gone; either the owner reclaimed it or someone with a larger head than me.

We never caught anything exotic like tuna or swordfish, Chris; mostly just the ordinary conger eels.