Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sylvan Wanderer

Sylvan Wanderer

Shot at Lyme Park, Cheshire. The original shot was way to dreary for my liking. Not sure I have improved it though. I like the idea but it jury is out on this. Any comments are most welcome.

Sylvan Wanderer

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Sylvan Wanderer

Hi Steve: I really like this but... I wonder how it would be if you warmed up the blue a bit and then went a lot more extreme with lightening or darkening the whole shot and then some selective dodging or burning in the shadows and highlights in the grass and along the path. I'm also wondering if a different crop top or bottom would provide more impact. I think right now it has lots of potential but needs some drama which could be provided with more extreme tone adjustments and/or cropping. I'm also thinking that if you crop the bottom and keep the cloud the cloud needs to stand out more. Right now it's just there distracting me but does not have much impact.

Wendy

I like this, too, Steve! Is there too much foreground, though? or, aka - "yeah! what Wendy said!" Also, I just want to reach out and straighten it (counter clockwise) just a titch but that may just be me.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Also, I just want to reach out and straighten it (counter clockwise) just a titch but that may just be me.
    No. I too think it needs a slight correction. Steve - I think it would look more dramatic in B&W. The stark simplicity of it would be very effective.

Great C&C everyone. Many thanks it all makes perfect sense. I did originally start out with b/w in mind but you know what I am like. I just had to try to be avant garde. I will go and have a play with the intermediate tiff file and see what I ca do with it.

Arrrgh....I am trying my hardest to get this right...honest

Hmmmm, maybe,.....don't try so hard??? btw, sympathies!

I think I will leave the landscapes to others. Far too much messing about and no room for Sitwell silliness at all. Two variants on the b/w theme.

Sylvan Wanderer

Sylvan Wanderer

Steve, I think they're wonderful! I don't know if there's something more to say technically-wise but I think they're....beautiful! Cheer up! I think there's tons of deep thought that this could inspire - with a little silliness on the side. (Anyway, one should always be a little silly when being philosophical!!!) I've been a complete Eeyore, all day - "I'm a lone reed" type of thinking. Perhaps, I'm a lone tree - in a half mown meadow!!! Oh, I have to get back to house cleaning.... (I like the unmown side the best, though!) Yup! It has emotional impact, alright!

Real Name
    Chris

Well if you should give up landscapes, it is my firm belief the forum would miss a lot of very fine imagery...like these two, both of which I would hang (if I could find wall space - ).
    Last edited by MiniChris; 11th June 2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: I simply must get a new keyboard...arrggghhh

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Sylvan Wanderer
    Well, this one hits my cli.... (oops, not to use that word) Excellent. Much better, Better contrast. The starkness is most striking. The proportions are much improved. We will make a landscape flunky out of you yet.

Real Name
    Wendy

I like them all including the original, but if I had to vote it would be the B&W. There is something about the cloud though, would it be better without it, or does the cloud make the shot?.... I also think it would look good with the original foreground but with the sky cropped about a third.... So many possibilities with one image and I'd be very pleased with any one of them.

Wendy

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I think I will leave the landscapes to others. Far too much messing about and no room for Sitwell silliness at all.

Sylvan Wanderer
    This is the winner. The eye is led through the image from the lower right corner and then up through the tree. A great example of when less is more. The purple tint works for me too. It's just a matter of personal preference. I need to get out and look for some lone trees!

R

Real Name
    Kay

The last one is the winner-winner chicken dinner!

Anyway, one should always be a little silly when being philosophical!!!)
    An absolute must.

Well if you should give up landscapes, it is my firm belief the forum would miss a lot of very fine imagery...like these two, both of which I would hang (if I could find wall space - ).
    Thanks Chris. That means a lot. They are growing on me after a nights sleep. I was way to involved in them yesterday.

We will make a landscape flunky out of you yet.
    Complete with fluffy water and shiny rocks. Given how much pain this gave me I think I might have to try it.....er maybe not it could be construed as self harm and a lady with a cardigan and frizzy perm would take my shoe laces away

There is something about the cloud though, would it be better without it, or does the cloud make the shot?
    That is an interesting point Wendy. To be honest I think it needs to be more 'lonely'. It looks a bit untidy spread about like that. For me the cloud is an important part of the isolation theme but I am not sure that it has the strength of presence. More to think about.

This is the winner.
    Thanks Raylee. I like to b/w version but for some reason the second tinted version seems less flat and more like a photographic plate which is what I was aiming for.

The last one is the winner-winner chicken dinner!
    Thanks Kay. I am edging to that one my self. Where you intending to cook that chicken dinner yourself?Sylvan WandererSylvan WandererSylvan Wanderer

Real Name
    Kay

Well naturally of course I would like to.... But recent WHO guidelines preclude this opportunity for a foray into that realm of creativity.
    And I knew there was a reason I never liked sprouts