Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Subject Distance in Metadata

Real Name
    Pat

Subject Distance in Metadata

When opening the properties of an image to view the metadata,(Elements 7) I have noticed on the odd occasion that the subject distance can give this astronomical figure, 4,294,967,295,00m. One image,shot at 18mm,gave said figure while the same shot at 55mm gave 3.50m. I was just wondering where this huge figure stems from.
    Best Wishes Pat.

Re: Subject Distance in Metadata

1. subject distance has nothing to do with mm.
    2. this exif item is the less believable.

Real Name
    Pat

Hello Gonzalo,
    I believe the wording used in my post may have caused confusion. I understand that mm has nothing to do with subject distance,the astronomical number in the exif under the heading Subject Distance(distance from camera to subject) has me intrigued as to where this figure is plucked from.Best Wishes,
    Pat.

exif subject distance tryes to estimate distances based on camera focus, you can have a lot of images an none of them with an accurate calculation of distance.

do not worry about this item in the exif tag, is not very useful. make a test with an known distance and then look the tag.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    Hello Gonzalo,
    I believe the wording used in my post may have caused confusion. I understand that mm has nothing to do with subject distance,the astronomical number in the exif under the heading Subject Distance(distance from camera to subject) has me intrigued as to where this figure is plucked from.Best Wishes,
    Pat.
    Was your camera set to infinity focus? The subject distance should be from your position to the focus target.