Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I saw movement

Real Name
    Raylee

I saw movement

I've had these tulips for a week now so the stems are drooping, but I saw movement in the curves of the stems. I've done a colour and a black and white version. Do you think one portrays a sense of movement better than the other?

I saw movement

I saw movement

(Click to view larger)

Thanks

R

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Re: I saw movement

Raylee,

I think the colour one is "moving now", and the B&W is "frozen in time", but both give the sense of movement. I do like more b&w version, both are great

Leo

Real Name
    Kay

In the B&W version I get much more a sense of the movement than the colour.
    Both are really quite lovely.

Real Name
    John

I think both express the same degree of movement as far as leading lines go. If you are talking about an illusion of movement then I would have to say the b&w does. Every time you blink it takes the eyes a bit of time to adjust to the lack of hue.

Real Name
    Steve

I guess i'm the odd one, because i prefer the color one. Great image raylee.

Real Name
    Chris

I know this is going to sound absolutely major picky......but from the outset of my first observation of the two, I was far more drawn to the color version with, what to me was a major exception; the centering of the tulips and the little eye drawing reflection on the perplex.

Again, this goes back to my proclivities on how balance makes or breaks the image. I love the sway as if the little fellas are dancing to a song only they can know, but I found the one closest to the left side of the frame, too close...by about 3mm +/- and while that doesn't seem like much, it's enough to split the symmetry one-sided.

I was also immediately drawn to the little flash of blue reflection at the bottom right and you know how it is when your eye gets attracted - nag, nag, nag. So, to keep myself happy, and hopefully to make this image stronger (IMO and only mine), I took some minor liberties.

I saw movement

Raylee, I like both but I am swaying to the colour version on this occasion.The lighting is superb and there is a really nice sinuousness to the whole thing. If you had contrived to somehow shoot this without a vase it would have been outstanding in my opinion. I don't know... rubber bands holding the stems together and plonked on an uprighty thing so that the bands could be cloned out later. Nevertheless beautifully photographed.

Real Name
    Raylee

Thanks everyone! I've been reading some books on composition and design principles that have given me some ideas. Let's see where they take me.

Thanks again for your feedback.

R

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Both works for me, Raylee.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Raylee, I like both but I am swaying to the colour version on this occasion.The lighting is superb and there is a really nice sinuousness to the whole thing. If you had contrived to somehow shoot this without a vase it would have been outstanding in my opinion. I don't know... rubber bands holding the stems together and plonked on an uprighty thing so that the bands could be cloned out later. Nevertheless beautifully photographed.
    I know where you are coming from Steve about losing the vase. As a result, I've gone a bit abstract to emphasise the colour and shapes.

I saw movement

(click to view larger)

Thanks

R

Real Name
    Steve

Stick with the vase for now. It's a very beautiful shot.

Hi,
    A deep pp could be an option
    Somewhat like thatI saw movement
    Be sure Your first is very good,of course.

I know where you are coming from Steve about losing the vase. As a result, I've gone a bit abstract to emphasise the colour and shapes.
    I quite like that treatment. However my comment about the vase was referring to a re-shoot without the vase rather than cropping it. A straight crop loses the flow of the image. None of these comments or suggestions take away anything from the original as others have said it is a beautiful piece of work that certainly stands with the best of them on its own right.

Real Name
    Henry

I sense movement more in the B&W, but both are beautiful.