Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Printing

Real Name
    Mark

Printing

Well, I finally got sick and tired of the lottery that is commercial printing and I stumped up for a new Epson R3000. Printing always seemed a bit daunting to me, but after only a day I am already producing images twice as good as the rubbish I have been paying for. The R3000 is a new model from Epson aimed specifically at photographers. It prints up to A3+. There is a significant jump in price up to the A2 model. Thanks to everyone who has ever given advice about printing at home. I've read it all and followed the info on colour management, monitor profiling, printer profiling etc., etc.

I have no association with Epson, but I can recommend this printer to anyone who wants top quality photos.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Printing

Well done Mark. It is a leap of faith to start with but well worth it once you get started. Are you printing just for yourself or do you sell prints?

Real Name
    Mark

Hi Peter

I am thinking about selling some prints. I'll just take it one step at a time though. I think people are more likely to buy a print if they can at least see a physical sample rather than just going for it on line. In my line of work I spend my limited free time trying to take decent photos so I don't know if I really want to sit around exhibiting for a whole weekend, let alone find the time to do all the post processing and printing too. I'm also going to sell pet portraits through my clinic. I have a captive market there and I have the gear to do top class portraits of cats and dogs. It's also a lot easier to work with models that can't moan about not removing every last pimple .

Cheers

Mark

Real Name
    Peter

Mark,

I have been selling my prints at markets for some time now so if you need any comment along those lines let me know. You are right - I do believe people like to see the image and meet the photographer. The latter is very important. It give a some history and authenticity to the piece. I have never sold an image off my web site but sell regularly when I meet and talk to people about the image. The pet stuff sounds good.

There is a guy in Melbourne who takes photos of eveyone's dogs in one area (so many participants know each other which adds interest) then puts together a book and sells to the particiants plus does framed images for thier walls. All up he generates around $45,000+ from each edition from what I can work out. Sounds pretty good really.