Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just an experiment

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Just an experiment

I read someone's blog a few weeks ago where they gave a quick tutorial about giving your pictures a "Thomas Kinkade" effect.
    I'm always ready to try new things in PP - so I looked for some pictures that were marked as "discard" to do a practice run.
    Here's one OOC
    Just an experiment
    And here is the edit:
    Just an experiment

Did I make a mess of things?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Just an experiment

Hi Kristianna-Marie, if your goal is to see how much you can improve an image over the original then the second one looks a lot more like I think it would have looked to me in if I were there. The water in particular looks closer to what I would expect to see. This is an interesting concept! Can you post a link to the Kinkade tutorial?

I would love to know how to make a photographic image look like one of Kinkade's oil paintings! Does anyone have any pointers of wisdom on how to achieve the Kinkade 'Painter of Light' look? Can it be done in a photograph?

Real Name

Here is the link:
    http://www.quinnstephens.com/tutorials/kincade.html

I only used it as a guide line - I ended up with 5 layers and different blending modes.
    ----Kris----

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thank you for the link, Kris, I'll give it a try. As Kinkade used both intense pastels and numberous points of light to create his look, I suspect the result would be very scene dependent. I would love to see your progress as you continue to perfect this technique. Meanwhile, I'll play with it as well and post the results.

I am hoping someone else on the thread will chime in with C & C and perhaps an example or two of their efforts!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 7th June 2011 at 06:30 PM.

Real Name

I definitely will keep at it - it's just a matter of finding pictures that can be made t look 'kinkade-y'.
    I love to experiment, and I don't necessarily aim for the "natural" look. I did some very dramatic edits that keep the originals recognizable, but not even close to 'true to life'.
    My husband is rebuilding my computer, so for the next few hours I don't have access to my pictures. I'll post some earlier edits later on - probably in a new thread.
    Take care - and thanks for the nice comments.
    ---Kris----

Real Name
    Dave

Interesting post. I've never heard of the effect before but, on the right pic., it looks pleasing. Well done.

Have you ever tried applying the Orton Effect? "Ortonizing" (if you like 'verbing a noun') as it's sometimes called. Somewhat similar.

Cheers, Dave D

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by accystan View Post
    Interesting post. I've never heard of the effect before but, on the right pic., it looks pleasing. Well done.

Have you ever tried applying the Orton Effect? "Ortonizing" (if you like 'verbing a noun') as it's sometimes called. Somewhat similar.

Cheers, Dave D
    Hm, no, I haven't heard about it, but I'll do googlesearch and see what it's about.
    I'm Always ready to experiment.