Real Name
    Jhong Dizon

The Rope...

The Rope...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Rope...

Jhong

I love the idea of this image. I think the composition is very good and like the way the light is falling onto the objects lying on the floor. But I feel that there's just not enough light getting on to the rope and to the walls behind it and to the right-hand side of it.

We can see that there is some detail there that could be recovered with the applications of dodging techniques.

I think if the rope was made to stand out in the image more than it does at the moment, then it would be a much more powerful picture.

Real Name
    Jhong Dizon

thanks sir donald for the wonderful and very informative comment will re edit it later

thanks!

cheers

Real Name
    Jhong Dizon

The Rope...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Much better, I think.

Real Name
    Steve

This has a nice feel to it and good composition, but I think the shot needs some fill flash to get the exposure of the doorway correct. Or you could have shot 2 different exposures and blended the two. For me , the blown out doorway distracts me from the rope, and i think it is too blown out to recover it.

If you could reshoot it, i think it would make a very good image.

Jhong

in my view its needs nothing. It is one of those shots that just works. We can hum and arr about dodging this and burning that but its value as a photograph transcends all that. Great work

Real Name
    Chris

I have to agree with Steve's assesment. despite your good efforts to bering out the rope as Donald suggested (and you responded), the blown out doorway is simply too powerful an eye draw to keep the focus on the rope.

It is a very commanding scene and worthy of a redo.

Real Name
    Jhong Dizon

thanks to all just shoot this using my new baby coolpix P300 point and shoot. still practicing with it

thanks thanks again guys

cheers

Real Name
    Janis

Congratulations, Jhong, on a powerful, evocative image. Like Wirefox Steve, I am inclined to think that the original stands on its own. Just because we can control highlights and lowlights through exposure and processing doesn't mean we always have to. In this case, I find the harshness of the light through the doorway impressionistic and it contributes to the mood and mystery of the scene for me. I confess my first reaction was like Donald's, but I think you may have set me and other viewers up for it with your title. Because my eyes had to search for the rope, I felt that you had failed to help me see it, ergo you needed to put more emphasis on it. It may be that the rope is the most important thing in the image for you, but for me, it is just one of several elements in a wonderfully balanced image that evoke mystery.
    Last edited by purplehaze; 5th June 2011 at 04:43 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jhong,

I prefer the second version, Donald was spot on with his advice and you were spot on with implementing it.

Beyond that, I am in agreement with Steve, Chris and Janis.
    Even if a human were viewing that scene directly, I bet the outside would be too bright to register detail outside if the eyes were dark adjusted enough to see the detail inside, so for me too, it looks natural as it now stands. Getting detail oustide would destroy the feeling of being there, if you know what I mean.

Great shot,

Real Name
    Jhong Dizon

im really very thankful to all of you guys... i learned a lot from it

actually im really not that good in putting titles to my photos. any suggestions for the title?

here is my photo taken by my friend behind the scene hehehehe

The Rope...

cheers

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Japokskee View Post
    any suggestions for the title?
    Hi Jhong,

I think you should choose the title. What mood or feeling did the scene prompt in you that made you want to shoot it? What words come to mind? If nothing seems to quite fit, consult a thesaurus like this one for words with associated meanings. Not to put any ideas in your head, but this scene made me think "abandonment". I looked up "abandon" in the thesaurus and the word that jumped out at me was "forsake". Now, "The Forsaken" may be too much associated with Clint Eastwood and Clint too much associated with ropes for this to make a good title for your picture, but I like that "The Forsaken" could refer both to the building and the people that once lived or worked there. But you know better than I do whether that is an appropriate characterization. And I don't mean to imply that your title needs to reflect any objective reality. Nor does it have to mean anything to anyone other than you. It is totally up to you whether you want to mystify your viewers or not. The only point I want to make is that you need to keep in mind that the viewer will likely use your title as a clue to how you want them to read your picture.

here is my photo taken by my friend behind the scene hehehehe

The Rope...

cheers
    I think we could all have some fun thinking up titles for this one.
    Last edited by purplehaze; 6th June 2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: correct (eek) spelling mistakes

Real Name
    Janis

I don't know how my brain turned "Unforgiven" into "The Forsaken". Don't tell the company, but they should retire me now.

Real Name
    Henry

I prefer the original. Yes my eyes went to the bright doorway first but then, just as if I were there, my eyes started moving around as they 'adjusted' from bright to dark. I can see the items in the room well enough to set the mood. I liked what I saw. Mystery, questions, shadows....There is a dark secret to this place. Brightening it - although still like it - took that out of it for me.