Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New photo's from Rodman Dam and Kenwood boatramp

Real Name
    Ron

New photo's from Rodman Dam and Kenwood boatramp

Went to the dam this morning to see what would come along to have it's picture taken and saw this heron intent on getting breakfast that he paid no attention to my approaching him.I was able to get about 30ft from him and take this photo among other.Afterwards i went to Kenwood and shot these other 2 photo's.C&C are very welcome.Thanks Ron.

ISO 200,f/5.6,1/200sec,180mm.

ISO 100,f/8,1/160sec,200mm.

ISO 100,f/8,1/320sec,200mm.

All images have had some form of PP done to them.Thanks again for viewing.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: New photo's from Rodman Dam and Kenwood boatramp

Ron

Excellent lighting on #1. You've beautifully got the bird separated from its background. I wondered about a but of burning on the bird's head and neck, by just a small amount. I think the white area under it's eye is blown, but that was probably a price worth paying to get it as you did.

You come upon the #2 and 'boom', it hits you between the eyes. It certainly makes an instant impression. What you guys doing macro produce always amazes me. Takes us into a different world.

And on the third one - Again a well put together image. It's very clear what it's about, but I wonder if the bee just gets a little lost on the background? I think it's the right background and getting the bee not quite on the plant is an excellent idea. But given you went for the complete flower head, I wonder if it leaves the bee, against that background, just a bit too small in the frame. The alternative would have been one closer up, with just part of the flower head and the bee occupying a larger proprotion of the image. Might have worked!

Anyway - some thoughts for you to ponder.
    Last edited by Donald; 5th June 2011 at 10:16 AM.

Real Name
    Ron

Thank you Donald.Will give your PP suggestions a go later today as i'm off right now to get some sunrise photo's at the beach.Have a few more photo's of the heron that i'm going tp play around with also.Thanks again..Ron

Real Name
    Ron

Here's another bee shot from my time at kenwood.Thanks for viewing. Ron

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ron,

#1: is one I would be proud of, it could be a tad blown, but I know how tricky these fellas are to expose correctly

#2: if mine, I would not have displayed this large (i.e. I would have downsized more) as when viewed in the Lytebox at the full 1,130px × 950px, it is not sharp enough and actually very noisy for 100 iso. This makes me wonder; was it;
    a) under exposed (and corrected in PP),
    b) perhaps from a jpg rather than RAW and
    c) a significant crop from full size (e.g. perhaps even no downsizing was required) ?

#3: I agree with Donald's comment, but if it is any consolation, I have yet to get an acceptable bee shot myself, usually for the same problem, man that black is really black on a bee!

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks Dave.I am pretty happy with #1 but as Donald said it is blown out right under his eye.We'll go with letter c on #2 as i did a very close crop(as much as 100%)on the dragonfly to get in that close then added a USM layer and painted a mask over it at various opacities to reduce some of the obvious sharpening.I thought about cropping #3 in close but was concerned about the composition but i"ll give it a go and repost them for C&C to see if i done right.Thanks again...Ron

Real Name
    Ron

Here's a quick rework of #1 and #3.Thank you for viewing.