Thread: Waiting...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Waiting...

Thank you very much for viewing.

Click the image to see it in lightbox.
    Waiting...

-----
    Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens set at 70mm, Exposure at ISO 640, f/4.5 at 1/25 second, Matrix Metering in Aperture Priority Mode, Color processed in Lightroom.

Real Name
    Shannon

Re: Waiting...

Willie, Do you ever take a bad photo?? LOL, This is beautiful!! I like how the snake is coiled because my eye keeps going round and round the picture.. Another well done job! Don't forget all us little people one day when you have a successful gallery showing.

Real Name
    Bill S

Well... it looks like Abhi is a trend setter.

I like the B&W treatment here, but wonder what this would look like in color. The DoF and composition are spot on, but I feel it is a little unfortunate that the snake had a stripe down its back behind its head, instead of the diamond pattern you see further down its back... I think that might have made the lines a little more appealing. Also, is there a reflection on the eye? There seems to be something there that is taking away the classic vertical slip pupil that snakes have, and I think it takes away a little from the impact. I am loving the texture and sharpness of those scales though!

Excellent work, Willie!

- Bill

PS: Nice new avatar.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shambhala View Post
    Willie, Do you ever take a bad photo?? LOL, This is beautiful!! I like how the snake is coiled because my eye keeps going round and round the picture.. Another well done job! Don't forget all us little people one day when you have a successful gallery showing.
    Thank you very much for the warm comments, Shannon. My shots SOOC (straight out of camera) are basically the same as what others can create with their cameras (in fact their shots might be far better than what my camera can produce. ) Probably, my slight advantage is that I can crop and process my images to bring out the vision that I had when I took the shots. In time, I firmly believe that you can do the same considering your enthusiasm and diligence to learn. As for the art gallery... where can I find it?

Real Name
    Ron

Very good photo Willie.Was it behind glass,if so good job on having no reflection in the photo.If not then good job on getting that close to the snake and not pissing it off. Ron

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Well... it looks like Abhi is a trend setter.

I like the B&W treatment here, but wonder what this would look like in color. The DoF and composition are spot on, but I feel it is a little unfortunate that the snake had a stripe down its back behind its head, instead of the diamond pattern you see further down its back... I think that might have made the lines a little more appealing. Also, is there a reflection on the eye? There seems to be something there that is taking away the classic vertical slip pupil that snakes have, and I think it takes away a little from the impact. I am loving the texture and sharpness of those scales though!

Excellent work, Willie!

- Bill

PS: Nice new avatar.
    Thank you very much, Bill. This was taken inside a glass cage and still a part of my collected shots when we visited the San Antonio Zoo. The glass cage was really small for this predator so considering the small window that we can peep through (about 14" wide X 22" tall) this is one among the 2 shots that I took that is workable. Again, my apologies for not identifying this snake for documentation.

Real Name
    Shannon

Thanks for noticing my enthusiasm.. My shots definitely don't look like this straight out of the camera.. LOL, Someday .. I have a goal, within a year to produce something that is high quality. As for a gallery showing you should contact some local galleries and arrange a show.. Or find place to rent for the night and set up your own showing.. Some of the local galleries where I live have special nights for local artists shows.. Also some of our independent coffee type shops you can hang your work up on their walls .. You should really look into that. I think you have enough beautiful work to warrant some type of showing.. maybe even look into art festivals in your area. I REALLY think you should look into this.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Rasbury View Post
    Very good photo Willie.Was it behind glass,if so good job on having no reflection in the photo.If not then good job on getting that close to the snake and not pissing it off. Ron
    Thanks, Ron. This is definitely taken while the snake is inside a glass cage.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Thank you very much, Bill. This was taken inside a glass cage and still a part of my collected shots when we visited the San Antonio Zoo. The glass cage was really small for this predator so considering the small window that we can peep through (about 14" wide X 22" tall) this is one among the 2 shots that I took that is workable. Again, my apologies for not identifying this snake for documentation.
    Yeah - shooting through the glass is always a challenge. Sometimes a slight angle helps to eliminate the reflections and I think you did that well. If it isn't crowded, you can sometimes get a partner to hold a jacket or similar to reduce the reflections too.

The relatively small enclosure actually isn't that bad for a snake. In general, snakes live in small underground burrows or dens. They prefer that enclosed feeling, and actually become more stressed when kept in a large open cage without a proper small hiding spot. Since zoos keep such animals so guests can view them and learn from them, a large enclosure with a small hiding spot that the snake will always be in is simply impractical. So a smaller enclosure is a win-win situation actually.

Based on what I can see in the shot (head shape, body girth, etc), I'd have to guess this is in the rattlesnake family, but I'm not sure of the exact species.

- Bill

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shambhala View Post
    Thanks for noticing my enthusiasm.. My shots definitely don't look like this straight out of the camera.. LOL, Someday .. I have a goal, within a year to produce something that is high quality. As for a gallery showing you should contact some local galleries and arrange a show.. Or find place to rent for the night and set up your own showing.. Some of the local galleries where I live have special nights for local artists shows.. Also some of our independent coffee type shops you can hang your work up on their walls .. You should really look into that. I think you have enough beautiful work to warrant some type of showing.. maybe even look into art festivals in your area. I REALLY think you should look into this.
    Thank you very much for the encouragement, Shannon. It would probably take some more years before I can do that. I still have to iron out some things with my life right now to go into such endeavor.
    Last edited by jiro; 3rd June 2011 at 06:48 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Yeah - shooting through the glass is always a challenge. Sometimes a slight angle helps to eliminate the reflections and I think you did that well. If it isn't crowded, you can sometimes get a partner to hold a jacket or similar to reduce the reflections too.

The relatively small enclosure actually isn't that bad for a snake. In general, snakes live in small underground burrows or dens. They prefer that enclosed feeling, and actually become more stressed when kept in a large open cage without a proper small hiding spot. Since zoos keep such animals so guests can view them and learn from them, a large enclosure with a small hiding spot that the snake will always be in is simply impractical. So a smaller enclosure is a win-win situation actually.

Based on what I can see in the shot (head shape, body girth, etc), I'd have to guess this is in the rattlesnake family, but I'm not sure of the exact species.

- Bill
    Thank you very much for the added information, Bill.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

It would probably some more years before I can do that.
    Just a thought, Willie, not to far from where I live is a little coffee and ice cream shop that lets artists and photographers post pictures, small sculptures and other local crafts. They offer limited display space and if your work sells, they keep 30%. I was thinking of posting some of my work there as there is no real committment or cost to doing so, and if it sells I get the satisfaction of seeing some of my efforts make someone happy. There may be a similar venue in your area?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Just a thought, Willie, not to far from where I live is a little coffee and ice cream shop that lets artists and photographers post pictures, small sculptures and other local crafts. They offer limited display space and if your work sells, they keep 30%. I was thinking of posting some of my work there as there is no real committment or cost to doing so, and if it sells I get the satisfaction of seeing some of my efforts make someone happy. There may be a similar venue in your area?
    Thank you very much, Frank. I already spent almost all of my savings on books and softwares so I am broke as a cat right now. Hahaha! Hopefully, I can rise up to my predicament and start doing what you guys are suggesting. My heartful thanks to you all.
    Last edited by jiro; 4th June 2011 at 01:22 PM.

Real Name
    Shannon

Willie, You definitely have to look into showing your work.. I insist .. I was really happy that the other day in school one of my classmates wanted one of my prints.. We are all new to photography so they didn't realize it wasn't that good LOL, But it felt good knowing someone liked it enough to want it.. I didn't even post that particular picture on the forum because I knew it would not get decent reviews.. but someone saw something in it they liked.. it was a good feeling.. I really think you have a lot of work you can sell ! Everyone of your pictures that I have seen leave me with some sort of feeling.. that in my opinion is even more important then technically perfect. I don't even know what technically perfect is yet.. But if a picture can leave me with some sort of emotion I consider that .. excellence.. I think this is what you do with your photos. I will be looking for your post saying you sold your first print. !!

Real Name

I will be looking for your post saying you sold your first print. !!
    I will certainly keep you all posted should that happen. Fingers crossed.

Oh, dear, Jiro - Willie - er.... I hate to be a little black rain cloud but your new avatar is freaking me out! You don't look like this! You look like that other dude. Ummmm, who WAS that other dude, anyway? (Actually, I do remember the photo of the "real you" under the tree but I got so used to the other one....)

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Oh, dear, Jiro - Willie - er.... I hate to be a little black rain cloud but your new avatar is freaking me out! You don't look like this! You look like that other dude. Ummmm, who WAS that other dude, anyway? (Actually, I do remember the photo of the "real you" under the tree but I got so used to the other one....)
    How about this? Better?
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about this? Better?
    ummmm,..... errrrr, .....welllll,.......why,... YES!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    ummmm,..... errrrr, .....welllll,.......why,... YES!

Oh, there's "Jiro" back again! This communicates the humble, capable, insightful master that you are!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast