Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lexi's candid portraits - please c&c

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Lexi's candid portraits - please c&c

I am still working up photos for my Manual Exposure course. These pictures use manual exposure, so I guess I am safe. These are candids, I did not use any reflectors or the like, other than the dappled sunshine. I did not pose Lexi. She comes this way. Photogenic. I dodged the hair a bit and sharpened the eyes.

As always, your c&c please. Thank you for looking.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look.

Marie
    Last edited by Marie Hass; 1st June 2011 at 03:31 AM.

Real Name
    Abhi

Re: Lexi's candid portraits - please c&c

A beautiful model, and a great shot, Marie. I really like how you have captured the expression of innocence on her face.

Weird, when I first looked at your post there was just the first photo. Lovely expression on the second one as well.
    Last edited by abhi; 1st June 2011 at 03:39 AM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I can only say praises for #1. Everything works perfectly for me on this shot. #2 is very nice as well but not as strong as what #1 does for me. You did very well on the exposure practice, Marie. Congrats.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Thank you Abhi for your comment. I was in the middle of posting the second picture when you first had a look. Imagine my surprise when I posted the second picture and your comment showed up!

Willie, good evening! Thank you! Lexi is a 5 year old with incredible talent. I think she may be a model of some type some day. She just poses without instruction. Have a nice evening,

Marie

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Wonderful photographs!
    Do keep them, as Lexi would love to see herself when she grows up.
    No 1 is definitely a keeper...
    I guess when we say 'beautiful photograph'; the compliments are more for the photographer, than the subject; since lot of folks see, but only a few (like Marie) capture...
    Congratulations on your nice work, Marie!

(what's the translation for "candid portraits"?)

Real Name
    Shannon

Gorgeous shots of a pretty little girl, well done!!

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Gonzolo,

"Candid" to me is a concept. It means that the opportunity to take this shot was presented to me and I took it - of the moment. The environment was uncontrived and unmanipulated. I shot what was available instead having lighting, reflector or other tools of the trade. Others here at CIC may have a different or perspective or have a better way of stating this.

Gurvinder, sir, you are too kind.

Thanks again all for taking the time to look and comment.

Marie

Real Name
    neil

Hi Marie, did you delete the EXIF? If you ask for CC then it's easier to comment on technical issues if the EXIF is there.

I like the second best. I think children look better in a natural shot rather than throwing a pose as in the first shot. To me that looks posed and a little awkward if you want the truth. Personal view of course! Also the focus on the second is better.

In 2 I would brighten the catchlights.

To me candid means that the human subject is not aware that they are being photographed and that allows you to capture something of substance about that individual. Some may say that it also means they are aware of the camera but do not react in any way because of the camera, although I think that is diluting the term a little. I don't think it has anything to do with the light that you are using.

neil

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Neil,

I wouldn't know how to delete exif data if I fell over it. LOL. Honestly, I am a novice and thought it always came with the picture I uploaded. Sorry. Is there something else I should do before I upload pictures here? Do I have to manually attach exif info? I know it exists, because I refer to it in File info. Please advise and I will be happy to do it. The info on the cropped image - shutter speed 160, F5.6, ISO 400, Focal length 55mm, WB cloudy. No flash. Shot with my Canon XSI and my 18-55 kit lens.

I value your input and I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask for something I have not provided. It is only because of my lack of knowledge.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Marie

Marie, now i understand what you mean with candid portrait, thanks for explaining it. (it's what i thought)

About the EXIF, if you want to keep this info, at the moment of saving your editions select the option, "keep exif tag" or similar option.

good luck.

Real Name
    neil

Hi Marie,

yes the EXIF is just the data of the settings on the camera when you took the shot. If people ask for CC then its often useful to look at this although your settings look pretty standard for this kind of shot. If you want to learn then it is also useful to download other peoples shots [that you like probably] and take a look at what settings they used.

neil

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Gonzolo, thank you for that. I did not know about how to keep the exif tag. I will do it on my next upload.

Neil, if you or someone will please tell me how to download someone else's picture, I would be ecstatic! There is a bit I know, but I also have a lot of holes in my knowledge base. I did not see how others did it. . Just tell me where to look. I am a late starter and am on a huge learning curve.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Marie