Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pearly King

Pearly King

Pearly King

I saw this chap on a day trip to Greenwich over the Bank Holiday weekend and thought that a b&w conversion would work well on it. I'm pretty happy with it overall but the guy in the background is frustrating! I waited for quite a while but couldn't seem to get a shot without some kind of distraction in the background!

C&C most welcome, including advice on how to clone out the man if possible! I have Lightroom which obviously has limited cloning abilities but have just downloaded CS5 extended to have a go with. I have cloned small objects in the past on fairly uniform backgrounds but this is a bit out of my comfort zone!

Thanks for looking.

Charlie.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Pearly King

Very well seen, Charlie. Your image is a very good example of street photography. You have a subject, and you have supporting elements to complete the story about the subject. As for the guy on the top left background, yes, I have to agree, he has to be gone to make the image stronger.

Content-aware can't do it in CS5 as the space is too tight for Photoshop to interpolate on the neighboring areas. What you can do is to do it the old-fashioned way using the clone tool. Set the clone tool brush to a small size, with the brush set to a semi-hard edge, 100% opacity but at 2 - 3% flow then carefully clone him out by using the nearest neighboring pixels. Hope this helps. By the way, very good work on the b&w conversion.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Here's one possible edit, Charlie.

Pearly King

Great, thanks for all of the advice Jiro - been a great help! I had a go at doing some cloning too, although I think that you were somewhat quicker than I was!!

Pearly King

Real Name
    Richard

Willie and Charlie... great job in making the guy leave the frame!