Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Movie mode question

Movie mode question

I'm trying to figure out why my home movie is "choppy" (for lack of a better word). I was using a Canon s5is camera and then got my first DSLR camera...a Canon ESO T1i.

I took some video of my 4-year-old, uploaded the pictures and video but the video is choppy....doesn't run smooth. Now I did notice that when I take video with the s5is the extension on the end of my video file is .avi but the extension on the EOS is .mov. Could that be what is causing it? How do I fix it?

To watch these short video clips my Quick time player opens up. Does this have anything to do with it?

cindel

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Movie mode question

Try to update your Quicktime Movie Player, Cindel. That might help you on the issue with .mov files.

I even upgraded to Quick time pro and it's still choppy. I just don't get it!!!!

As computer technician i recommend you:

Klite Mega Codec Pack.

bye.
    Last edited by xalupa; 30th May 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I think the problem is that on the 1080p HD movie mode, Canon opted to use a 20fps rate rather than the recommended 30fps. Your possible option is to trickle down and use the lower HD mode using 1280 x 720 that can handle 30fps. As Gonzalo recommends, you can use an external CODEC to do the conversion for you if you want to use the recorded HD movie .mov data. Just a suggestion

These guys has some very interesting discussion about this issue here: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...T1i-Movie-Mode

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

My daughter has one of these cameras and the 1080 20fps mov files play fine on my computer with either standard Quicktime or Windows Media Player. The 20fps frame rate isnt as smooth as 24 or 25 or 30 fps for action but I wouldn't call it choppy. You haven't mentioned any details of your computer, maybe it's not fast enough to handle 1080 HD video properly ?

Cheers Dave

That could be (not a fast enough computer). I have a older mac running OS X 10.4.11
    My husband has a dell laptop and I think it runs windows 7 but I'm not sure. I'll have to try it on his.
    Someday I hope to get a newer computer.