Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Venus Under Midnight Sun

Real Name
    Henry

Venus Under Midnight Sun

Need feedback on my photoshopped lighting of this subject. Should I have shown more of her face? I wanted to keep it a little in the dark, kinda mysterious?? And I realize 1- the sky color is not realistic but wanted the fantsay look, 2 - the moon couldn't be the source of the light directionally, I imagine her being lit from a window behind her.. I know, how is the viewer supposed to know that LOL. I was going to photoshop in a hint like a glowing on left side but like it simple like this. But what do you think of moonlight on her forehead cheek chin etc
    Venus Under Midnight Sun

Real Name
    Shannon

Re: Venus Under Midnight Sun

I would love to help you Henry but I don't know anything about PS lol, I do like her pose and I think you got the mysteriousness that you were going for. Personally I don't think we need to see more of her face if you want it to look like she is staring off mysterious and thoughtful.. But I am new and don't know very much, I can only comment on what I like and I like this picture.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Shambhala View Post
    But I am new and don't know very much, I can only comment on what I like and I like this picture.
    There is nothing wrong with that at all. People may want technical feedback a lot of the time, but they also want to know if others like their work, and why.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think the profile shot is fine. And you've set her up in nice pose.

The couple of questions I'd pose about it (not being a portraitist) are:

1. Is that transition from light to dark on her cheek too severe? Did it need a bit more light from the right front to soften that?
    2. Does including the moon in the frame actually contribute or detract from the image? I wonder if it serves to draw attention away from the main subject; i.e. the young woman?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by henry17106 View Post
    Need feedback on my photoshopped lighting of this subject. Should I have shown more of her face? I wanted to keep it a little in the dark, kinda mysterious?? And I realize 1- the sky color is not realistic but wanted the fantsay look, 2 - the moon couldn't be the source of the light directionally, I imagine her being lit from a window behind her.. I know, how is the viewer supposed to know that LOL. I was going to photoshop in a hint like a glowing on left side but like it simple like this. But what do you think of moonlight on her forehead cheek chin etc
    Venus Under Midnight Sun

She is a very pretty girl, with a nice face that you have managed to obscure. The lighting is all wrong, I'm afraid, with most of the light on the back of her head, rather than her face. There are a lot of harsh-edged shadows which contradict the softness that should be portrayed by a setting like this. Had you just posed her against a simple backdrop, with more suitable, and softer lighting, this wouold have been a cracking shot.

Real Name
    Henry

This is the original. Niece had it taken for her hairstyle portfolio and I just played with it. Thanks for critiques! Cool to know people are looking and that their is help out there....Looking forward to get you all through this site...
    Venus Under Midnight Sun

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Henry,

The (technically) 'incorrect' lighting angles were my first impression.

If you had rotated the moon image so that the brightly lit limb(?) was from same angle as the light on your niece, it would be bettter I think, although it still wouldn't be technically accurate I fear. i.e. rotate it clockwise by approx 100-110 degrees

Other thoughts;
    The moon-glow on her forehead works for me.
    There is an unfrortunate triangle shadow from her shoulder which would have benefitting from her body being ever so slightly turned more toward the camera.
    Since the hard shadows on your niece are from her and her earring, they look OK to me, only a diffuse light source would have given soft shadows and the sun is a hard lightsource - thus arguably, the moon image needs to be much sharper - so there isn't the apparent 'contradiction' (if you know what I mean)

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Henry

so involved in looking at everyones photos that I forget to come back and thank for helpful comments....Thank you....