Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stone Mountain, GA

Real Name
    Chris

Stone Mountain, GA

Hosts the largest bas-relief carving in the world. This carving is called the Monument to the Confederacy and pays homage to President of the South, Jefferson Davis with Generals "Stonewall" Jackson and Robert E. Lee. The monument is carved on Stone Mountain which is the largest freestanding piece of granite in the world. The carving (figures only) is 90 feet high by 190 feet long (30 meters by 60 meters).

Stone Mountain, GA

Stone Mountain, GA
    Last edited by MiniChris; 30th May 2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Miss-typed Grant for Jackson -oops

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Stone Mountain, GA

The semi side-lighting really captured the contours and the shape of the carvings, Chris. If this shot was taken directly high noon it would give the statue a different feel about it. Well done, my friend. Awesome!

Real Name
    Chris

It's hard to tell because of the sheer size of it, but it sits about 45 feet deep into the rock face which allows for some good lighting. I just got lucky and hit it at about 10 am on a perfectly beautiful, bright sunny day. thanks for your comments, Willie-Jiro.
    Last edited by MiniChris; 30th May 2011 at 12:14 PM.

Real Name
    Henry

I really like this, I agree it is awesome. You've made it interesting, detailed.... makes me want to see it in person...