Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shamu.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Shamu.

This is Shamu, a killer whale that is the newest show attraction at SeaWorld in San Antonio, Texas. I was fortunate enough to talk to one of the show guards and she allowed me to get as close as possible to the trainers... only when she's not looking. Thank you very much for viewing.

Click the image to view it in lightbox.
    Shamu.

--------
    Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens set at 46mm, Exposure at ISO 640, f8 at 1/125 second, Matrix Metering in Manual Mode, Color Processed in LR 3.

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Shamu.

I think you may have illustrated one of the cardinal rules of photography with this shot, Willie...

It doesn't pertain to aperture, or composition, or even post production. It is the rule of "If you don't ask, then you'll never know."

If you hadn't been "brave" enough to ask the show guard, you probably would have assumed that you couldn't get that close, and thus would have missed the shot. A quick, friendly conversation can often lead to making a fantastic shot, and if you get turned away, you're no worse off than you were before.

On a side note, it amazes me that (a) Sea World still insists on keeping Orcas in captivity given their obvious tenuous history (these are apex predators), and (b) that they have sold the "Shamu" name so effectively to the American public that they don't even pretend to acknowledge that these are all different animals. I understand the value of captive animals for educational purposes, but Sea World is still missing the mark with these orca performances.

Sorry, off the soapbox again.

- Bill

Real Name

On a side note, it amazes me that (a) Sea World still insists on keeping Orcas in captivity given their obvious tenuous history (these are apex predators), and (b) that they have sold the "Shamu" name so effectively to the American public that they don't even pretend to acknowledge that these are all different animals. I understand the value of captive animals for educational purposes, but Sea World is still missing the mark with these orca performances.

You are right on that, Bill. The mind of a man is a more wilder beast. It will do anything to satisfy its desire to be entertained even if it goes against the rule of common sense. Still, life goes on. Kind regards.

Real Name
    Ron

Very well put Willie.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

I second Ron. Very well put, Bill.
    Jiro, I love the shot.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    I second Ron. Very well put, Bill.
    Jiro, I love the shot.
    Thanks, Sahil.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I think you may have illustrated one of the cardinal rules of photography with this shot, Willie...

It doesn't pertain to aperture, or composition, or even post production. It is the rule of "If you don't ask, then you'll never know."

If you hadn't been "brave" enough to ask the show guard, you probably would have assumed that you couldn't get that close, and thus would have missed the shot. A quick, friendly conversation can often lead to making a fantastic shot, and if you get turned away, you're no worse off than you were before.

Sorry, off the soapbox again.

- Bill
    Even more peculiar is the fact that they wear seal-like outfits and are surprised when the "killer whale" attacks them.

Real Name
    David Moss

Beautiful shot! I absolutely love the lighting, there's just something about it. Maybe I'm just drawn to shiny things

Real Name
    Frank Miller

From the markings on this Orca, it appears to be a Resident subspecies that eats primarily fish and is the smallest of the species. I have seen these near the Queen Charlotte Islands off the coast of British Columbia. They normally stay in large communal pods. The Transient and Offshore subspecies are larger. The Transient Orcas often travel in small killer pods, feed on mammals (sometimes as large as a Sperm and Blue whales) and have been seen attacking and killing a great white shark. Transients and residents live in the same areas, but avoid each other.

Although resident killer whales have never been observed to eat other marine mammals, they occasionally harass and kill porpoises and seals for no apparent reason. So, even though Shamu appears to be one of the most docile of the Orcas, do not expect to ever see me in the water with one!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by moss View Post
    Beautiful shot! I absolutely love the lighting, there's just something about it. Maybe I'm just drawn to shiny things
    Thank you very much for viewing and for the nice comment, David.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    From the markings on this Orca, it appears to be a Resident subspecies that eats primarily fish and is the smallest of the species. I have seen these near the Queen Charlotte Islands off the coast of British Columbia. They normally stay in large communal pods. The Transient and Offshore subspecies are larger. The Transient Orcas often travel in small killer pods, feed on mammals (sometimes as large as a Sperm and Blue whales) and have been seen attacking and killing a great white shark. Transients and residents live in the same areas, but avoid each other.

Although resident killer whales have never been observed to eat other marine mammals, they occasionally harass and kill porpoises and seals for no apparent reason. So, even though Shamu appears to be one of the most docile of the Orcas, do not expect to ever see me in the water with one!
    Thanks for the background info about this specie, Frank. When I saw how huge they are in real life, I felt a mixture of awe and fear about what could possibly go wrong if ever they change their temperament in an instant.