Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Back to some Herons.

Real Name
    Steve

Back to some Herons.

The parents are busy all the time. If not feeding the young, they are fixing the nest..............................

Back to some Herons.

Back to some Herons.

Back to some Herons.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Back to some Herons.

Wow, Steve. These images are really tack sharp and amazing. #3 is my definite winner among the 3. Awesome!

Real Name
    Bill S

I have to agree with Willie. What kind of gear are you using for these? Where are you located that you get so many great heron shots? Enquiring minds want to know!

- Bill

Real Name
    Abhi

#3 would be my favorite too. A crisp shot of a family moment. It looks like the babies are looking up expectantly, and the parent is wondering how to handle the latest crisis (request). Makes me think of the discussion thread on tattoos, lol.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Wow, Steve. These images are really tack sharp and amazing. #3 is my definite winner among the 3. Awesome!
    Thanks willie, glad you liked them.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I have to agree with Willie. What kind of gear are you using for these? Where are you located that you get so many great heron shots? Enquiring minds want to know!

- Bill

Thanks bill. I use a canon 40D body with a canon 300 f/4L lens + 1.4TC. I'm shooting over a nesting site in wheeling, WVa. I also get some shots along the creeks and streams.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    #3 would be my favorite too. A crisp shot of a family moment. It looks like the babies are looking up expectantly, and the parent is wondering how to handle the latest crisis (request). Makes me think of the discussion thread on tattoos, lol.
    Thanks abhi, the babies are looking up and thinking .........FOOD!!!

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Thanks bill. I use a canon 40D body with a canon 300 f/4L lens + 1.4TC. I'm shooting over a nesting site in wheeling, WVa. I also get some shots along the creeks and streams.
    Wheeling, huh? Any chance if I make the hour drive down, you'd show me the location? Or is that photo poaching?

- Bill

Real Name
    Steve

Back to some Herons.

Real Name
    Steve

After dad added the branch to the nest, mom arrived. You can tell the female from the male by her smaller stature and shorter beak.

Back to some Herons.

Every time the parents get close to the young, the little one's start snapping at their beak to entice feeding. The parents will then regurgitate fish for the young to eat.

Back to some Herons.

The family of four. The young look to be a female and a male, with the smaller female (with shorter beak ) on the left.

Back to some Herons.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Back to some Herons.
    This is a stunning photo, Steve! I love the way you're not only documenting a natural event, but also doing so in an artistic way. Very beautiful. Do you have a coffee table book made of only your heron photos? If not, you probably should!

Also, I don't know if you shared this with others here, but I think folks would be very interested to know that you told me that these shots are taken about 30 feet off the ground in a tree stand, so you're putting a little extra effort into getting these shots, and I always find the work put into making a shot impressive.

- Bill

Real Name
    Frank Miller

These shots are simply amazing!