Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Place to Rest (2nd HDR attempt)

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

A Place to Rest (2nd HDR attempt)

Well this is my second attempt at HDR and I think i'm starting to get the hang of it. My first attempt was very saturated. This is the Allegheny Cemetery in Lawrenceville PA. Any C&C on any part are welcome. Thanks

A Place to Rest (2nd HDR attempt)

Real Name
    Shannon

Re: A Place to Rest (2nd HDR attempt)

That's really cool Michael, just learned about HDR in school tonight. I don't know much about it but I really like this photo.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Michael

I've been experimenting with HDR myself recently so I'm a beginner at it too. I see the main benefit from HDR as the ability to bring the image closer to what the eye sees with it's far superior dynamic range over a camera. I'm not overlay fussed by the extreme tone mapping effects used by some that look un-natural to me.

In your photo, I would have thought that HDR could be used to bring out the shadow details more (the tree and the gravestones). I dont know what your bracketed images were like and I don't know what HDR processing software was used but there is obviously a large difference in brightness in some areas of the image than in others and I think this could have been corrected with HDR.

I don't mean to be critical because I am a novice with this. Maybe I have the wrong approach ?

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi Michael

I've been experimenting with HDR myself recently so I'm a beginner at it too. I see the main benefit from HDR as the ability to bring the image closer to what the eye sees with it's far superior dynamic range over a camera. I'm not overlay fussed by the extreme tone mapping effects used by some that look un-natural to me.

In your photo, I would have thought that HDR could be used to bring out the shadow details more (the tree and the gravestones). I dont know what your bracketed images were like and I don't know what HDR processing software was used but there is obviously a large difference in brightness in some areas of the image than in others and I think this could have been corrected with HDR.

I don't mean to be critical because I am a novice with this. Maybe I have the wrong approach ?

Cheers Dave
    Thanks Dave,

I don't mind the fact that you're being critical in fact I actually really appreciate it. but taking a closer look at this now I think I have a bigger problem. for some weird reason my monitor at home is showing all the detail of the grave stones and it doesn't have as many shadows as this picture clearly shows on a different monitor. I'm not sure how its actually showing me a brighter image while others getting this shadowy mess? Ugh. Strange because all other pictures seem fine. Hmm. Disturbing. Looks like I have some calibration tutorials ahead of me.

Real Name
    Andre Esterhuizen

Hi Michael, I have done some experimentation with HDR and I don't think the whole HDR objective was achieved in this image. The whole object of HDR processing is to to achieve tonal balance in an image close to how your eye saw the scene. In your image, the dark area is still too dark, and the highlights are still to light. If you shot the image in RAW, you can give it another try and widen the f-stop range to lighten the dark areas a bit more.
    Just a few questions - how many images did you use and what was your f-stop range? (i.e. -1;0;+1)

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by esteah View Post
    Hi Michael, I have done some experimentation with HDR and I don't think the whole HDR objective was achieved in this image. The whole object of HDR processing is to to achieve tonal balance in an image close to how your eye saw the scene. In your image, the dark area is still too dark, and the highlights are still to light. If you shot the image in RAW, you can give it another try and widen the f-stop range to lighten the dark areas a bit more.
    Just a few questions - how many images did you use and what was your f-stop range? (i.e. -1;0;+1)

Hey Andre,

I will post the specifics later when I am at home. but as I mentioned in the previous post I'm having a monitor calibration problem. I am at work now and this image looks nothing like what I posted from my monitor. UGH it looks terrible!

Thanks