Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Filters

Filters

I have a 2 part question here I will explain best I can...

1) I need to purchase a UV and polarizing filter and where I can get good quality filters at a reasonable price?

2) If I put a UV filter, and a polarizing filter together what effect will that give me any downfalls with that set up?

Thank you

Shawn O

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Filters

Shawn

Q2 first - No! That's quite a normal set-up. When I do use a polariser (which is not often), then it is always on top of a UV which is fixed permanently to the lens.

Q1 - I use Hoya Pro UVs on all my lenses. For me and my budget , they hit the right balance between quality and cost. For the polariser, you need to decide whether you're going for a screw-in or one that fits as part of a modular system (Cokin, Lee, etc) into which you can fit other, square filters. I think that's the first decision and then, once you've made that decision you can start looking at the different brands.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hi Shawn,

Donald has pretty much nailed it but if you want more info we'd need to know more about what sort of equipment you already have and the sort of budget you have access to. As for buying stuff in the states I think B&H and Adorama are quite popular and reasonably priced. Correct me anybody if I'm wrong.

Plus don't forget to read the tutorials here as they are the best on the net IMO.

Here's the first on filters.
    Last edited by The Blue Boy; 24th May 2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Spelling...Doh!

Thank you all

I'm shooting with a Canon 60D I mostly shoot outdoor landscape, macro, and still-life. I have been looking at filters and think I like the square filters. Can I screw the adapter to a UV filter? I really think I would need a graduated ND ( I think that's what its called), ND and polarizer

Thank You
    Shawn O

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Can I screw the adapter to a UV filter?
    Yes, as it's the same size thread that would be on the lens.

Real Name
    Hans

Hi Shawn,

I think it's worth testing to see if no colourcast will show up when you stack up two or more filters.
    I recommend to remove the UV filter before placing a other filter in front of your lens.
    Also I use square LEE filters and I noticed some cast coming up when two filters are stacked.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
    I need to purchase a UV and polarizing filter and where I can get good quality filters at a reasonable price?
    Hi Shawn,

In the UK; buying via Amazon (often sent from a trade reseller) are as cheap as anywhere and reliable delivery.

I also use the Hoya Pro 1 Digital range.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter

Just for fun, as the reviewer from LensRentals said:

Good Times with Bad Filters

Quite interesting.
    It makes me rethink the stacking of a polarizing filter on top of an UV filter (apart from the fact that I have experienced problems when I had to unscrew one filter from the other).

Now before you read the article (see link above), guess which photo is taken without or with filter and also if you think a filter was used what quality it was.

Filters

Remember: just for fun

Real Name
    Chris

I'm pondering a polarizing filter for my D90 & stock 18-105mm kit. Can somebody help me withe the qualitative/purpose differecnes of these?

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...r%20Polarizers