Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My dog Bundy

Real Name
    Josh

My dog Bundy

Hi guys this is my first attempt at PP, I normally just take pictures and leave it at that as I have never understood PS or LR, after reading some of Jiro's threads and some other useful ones on this site I thought i would give it ago, im not overly happy with it, but I now have something to work towards and cant wait to learn to do more, this site has been wonderful all critiques and suggestions are much welcome as its the only way to learn

Original
    My dog Bundy
    DSC_0004 by lufkin87, on Flickr

PP
    My dog Bundy
    Bundy by lufkin87, on Flickr

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: My dog Bundy

Josh

Well done. This is you now on the pathway to learning all the steps in making a final picture.

I'm sure you can see that the processed version is huge improvement on the original. Very much clearer and brighter, with much more 'pop'.

I would suggest that there is still room to think about composition and how we use cropping to get the best image we can out of a photograph. For example, there is a lot of space at the right of the image that's not really contributing anything. But that's for another discussion. At the moment, just celebrate the start of your photographic life in post-processing.

Yes, there is lots to learn. Don't try and learn it all at once. It is difficult, but do try to take it one step at a time. Focus on one task or skill and then move on to the next one.
    Last edited by Donald; 24th May 2011 at 12:33 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Hello Josh, I agree with Donald. I can immediately see a big improvement on the edited image from the original. Perhaps the composition is something that you can work on later. It's hard, but doable. Congrats for a good job done.

Real Name
    Josh

Thanks for your input guys, as soon as it stops raining I can work on some pics around the yard

Real Name
    Richard

Hi Josh...

Really nice looking dog! Looks to me that it might have some Rhodesian Ridgeback blood. Does it? I love pictures of dogs and pretty ladies...

IMO there are two things that all of us can be reminded of when viewing Bundy's portrait...

First... The importance of noticing the background when shooting any portrait. We often will concentrate so much on the main subject that the little annoying elements in the background do not get noticed until we see the image. I am guessing that if you had moved a meter or so to your left, that the background might have avoided the electronics equipment and have been much cleaner...

Second... Often, less is better. The PP closer cropped portrait of Bundy is, IMO, a better image in that it tends to avoid a lot of the background. BTW: We are not, when working with digital, constrained to any hard and fast rules about the dimensions of the final image because we don't have to purchase a frame for it. I will crop my images to where I think that they are best.

Keep up shooting Bundy and everything else around you. I really wish that in my formative photo days that I could have shot virtually free after I purchased my equipment. Digital has that as a great advantage over expensive film. Listen to critiques and then either accept those critiques as valid or decide that you prefer your image the way you displayed it. Just because some of us are, hopefully, attempting to provide constructive criticism doesn't mean that you have to accept every comment as gospel truth.

On the other hand, there are a lot of very experienced photographers on this forum who can help all of us better our imagery...