Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Image sharpness issues- Robins Nest

Real Name
    Mike

Image sharpness issues- Robins Nest

Im having some challenges getting images to be sharper. Not sure how much its me or the lens (probably more me though, even though I was following tips for sharper settings). Focus point was the eye of the prominent baby robin. The second image is a cropped one to show sharpness better. Minimal post done on iPhoto.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Image sharpness issues- Robins Nest

I'm not so sure of my visual observation but I think the image is sharper on the front of the nest rather than the eyes of the robin. At 113mm setting on your lens and a 1/25 shutter speed, it's tough to get a very sharp image without any vibration reduction on the lens itself. At 113mm, normal practice dictates that you need at least 1/125 second shutter speed to reduce blur. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Willie... you're right... I overlooked shutter speed. Tried again at various settings with an increased shutter speed, a bit better, but need a better tripod. The one we have is for the smaller cameras. it droops!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Mike,

I agree with Willie, the 1/25s shutter speed probably has a lot to do with it, that and a lack of DoF due to f/5.6, although I think it would, with suitable PP sharpening, look quite OK. (I have taken loads softer)

I would suggest upping the iso (don't under expose) and shoot with a narrower aperture and faster shutter speed, or try with flash, I don't know, but I wouldn't have thought it would trouble them too much - unless anyone knows better.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Jim

I agree,shutter speed and DoF are contributers.That's a lens with IS and I don't think it has tripod awareness.Make sure you turn IS off when you use it on a tripod.
    Dave's correct,a little sharpening will make a difference.