Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Playful.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Playful.

One of the dolphins we saw playing and having fun interacting with the crowd at the SeaWorld Complex in San Antonio, TX.

Playful.

--------
    Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens set at 60mm, Exposure at ISO 200, f8 at 1/320 second, Matrix Metering at Aperture Priority Mode, Color Processed in LR 3.
    Last edited by jiro; 23rd May 2011 at 03:38 PM.

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Playful.

Willie,

I think you have a *really* difficult scene to capture there. With all those reflections, I think it might have been best to have used a polarizing filter. So shooting without one, I think you did a very good job with the exposure and capture.

However, once thing that bugs me is the position of the dolphin's head. With the angle you have, the dolphin's right eye (left side in the photo) is just barely obscured and causes a strange look to its head. With a more profile view, it wouldn't be as distracting, or a more straight on angle might have caught both eyes (though just barely with the sideways positioning of eyes on dolphins. Again, a very challenging situation you put yourself into here!

I do like how the exposure and focus work to shot those teeth right back into the back of its mouth. Well done there.

- Bill

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Willie,

I think you have a *really* difficult scene to capture there. With all those reflections, I think it might have been best to have used a polarizing filter. So shooting without one, I think you did a very good job with the exposure and capture.

However, once thing that bugs me is the position of the dolphin's head. With the angle you have, the dolphin's right eye (left side in the photo) is just barely obscured and causes a strange look to its head. With a more profile view, it wouldn't be as distracting, or a more straight on angle might have caught both eyes (though just barely with the sideways positioning of eyes on dolphins. Again, a very challenging situation you put yourself into here!

I do like how the exposure and focus work to shot those teeth right back into the back of its mouth. Well done there.

- Bill
    Thanks, Bill. Yeah, it was a bit of a challenge shooting this one. I am squeezed between a beautiful, big, woman and a family with 5 kids so imagine trying to get a good shot with these around you. Hahaha. These dolphins are really playful and unpredictable but I'm glad I got some keepers.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Thanks, Bill. Yeah, it was a bit of a challenge shooting this one. I am squeezed between a beautiful, big, woman and a family with 5 kids so imagine trying to get a good shot with these around you. Hahaha. These dolphins are really playful and unpredictable but I'm glad I got some keepers.
    Yeah - I completely forgot about the other "environmental" issues you had to work with.

I always try to take those things into consideration when I look at a photo. I think it might be why I put higher value on certain photos that don't necessarily do as well in competitions... in our local photography club, I see very difficult photos score extremely low while other easier shots score higher.

I don't know if it is "right" to look at a photo through that kind of a tinted lens, but I do...

- Bill