Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Brand new to forum & Brand new dslr user

Brand new to forum & Brand new dslr user

I recently got a Canon rebel t1i. (I had been using a point & shoot Canon s5is.) My Rebel came with 2 lenses (18-55mm & 55-250mm). I'm wanting to take it to the zoo and different places like that with our 4-year-old. Wish lens would be the best to actually use in this situation?....I told you I was new....

I don't like the huge camera case that came with the camera so I'm looking for something on the smaller canvas bag. I'd still like to take my flash and both lens if possible. I was looking at the Opteka bags (c500 or c700). Any advice?

I have lots of questions but I'll start with this basic one.
    Thanks alot.
    cindel

Re: Brand new to forum & Brand new dslr user

Hi Cindel, welcome to CiC. I would certainly take the 55-250. You will need some reach of you want to get close up to the animals it also gives you a good portraiture range for that 4 year old. The 18-55mm will give you a wider aspect and is more suited to landcape style photography.

As far as bags are concerned it is best to go to a good camera store and have a good look at some. There is a massive range available. The Opteka bags are very similar to the one I use but remember it may not be practical if you are looking after a 4 year old. A ruck sack style bag may be more convenient at this stage.

Brand new to forum & Brand new dslr user

Real Name
    Richard

Cindel,

I would definitely bring your 55-250mm lens on your camera to the zoo...

I agree with Steve about visiting a camera store and looking at the bags that they have. I would recommend looking at one "slightly" bigger than you need but, not a terribly lot bigger. The problem with the very big bags is that photographers tend to overload them with gear and they become very heavy.

After you decide on the one you want and have priced it... Look on the Internet (Amazon or eBay) to see if you can get it at a better price. Bags have a tremendous mark-up and you could save considerable money.

You "might" save even more money if you find a used bag to fit your needs. Bags depreciate drastically and you can often get a used bag in excellent condition for under 25% of the list price...

Tamrac bags are very decent general purpose bags and can be had very inexpensively such as this one which I'll bet you could get for under twenty dollars (shipping included) if you live in the USA......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamrac-Expo-601-...item2a10be0020

However, the sling-type bags might be better if you also have a child to worry about...

Real Name
    Shannon

I have a backpack style camera bag, It was pretty cheap $40 Canadian. I love it. It's very convenient. Just another suggestion for you to look into.

Thanks everyone for the advice and replies. I don't have any local camera shops to look at so I guess I'll just keep searching for "just the right camera bag".

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Strongly consider a fanny pack type camera bag. They allow you to change lenses, filters and whatever without putting anything on the ground or fumbling in the bag off one side of your torso. They are also really comfortable to carry compared to a shoulder or backpack bag.

Look at the Thinktank stuff. I use their modular belt system but the fanny pack options are considered to be quite good.

Take both lenses if possible but I would choose the 55-250 over the 18-55 if push came to shove

Real Name
    Debbie

Trevor (tbob) brings up a very good point about a fanny pack type camera bag that allows you access it without putting it on the ground. I got a back pack style bag as a gift, but I have to take the whole thing off to access stuff and it turned out to be much more inconvenient than I thought. I'll still use it in some scenarios where that extra backpack space will be handy, but I bought a LowePro fanny pack style bag and thats what I use all the time. Being able to spin it around and change lenses and have a clean dry space to set lenses for the 10 seconds during the swap is really handy. I only have a body and 2 lenses so this the perfect size for me for now.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Cindel,

I would back Trevor and Debbie's suggestion, I got one of these and I have to say, it is waaay more practical than the rucksack I was using, even moreso with a littl'un to keep hold of, I should think.

I found a rucksack far more comfortable than a shoulder bag (esp. when out for several hours), but this new bag gives the comfort of the rucksack with even better accessibility, convenience and safety than a swinging shoulder bag.

I do use the shoulder strap loose, as a back up* and as an aid for putting on and taking off, it still allows rotation from 'behind' to the side or front for lens swapping, etc. I even change lenses when out now it finally made the DSLR worthwhile!

* The thought of most all of my gear reliant on one catch that I could accidentally unlatch is too risky for me

I do keep a rocket blower, lens pen, spare battery and memory cards in an additional little bag, which I either clip onto this, or quickly swap to my small holster bag, if travelling ultra-light with one lens (e.g. the 18-200mm) on camera.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd May 2011 at 06:37 PM.