Thread: Boats in the Marina

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Boats in the Marina

Another one, shot this evening - in Greyscale

(Click on image for large version)

Boats in the Marina

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Boats in the Marina

Colin... another beautiful one. On my screen it takes on a 'cocoa' color... the water is perfectly still again. Since it isn't dedicated to your friend... and I'm the first one to comment... I'll take it.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Colin... another beautiful one. On my screen it takes on a 'cocoa' color... the water is perfectly still again. Since it isn't dedicated to your friend... and I'm the first one to comment... I'll take it.
    Done

And thanks for the kind words!

I put a touch of sepia in it - so not true greyscale.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Done
    Thank you. I'm honored.

Real Name
    Chris

I think you'll find it is just a wee bit out of kilter. I did about (not quite) a one degree clockwise rotation, then resized to cut some of the top out, yet maintaining the square crop. I think both the rotation and the crop tighten up the overall image and give it a greater visual impact.

I used the horizon line and the second to the farthest right dock post as guides. I also found the slight blurring of the frontmost (right side) boat to be a little distracting. I am quite surprized you didn't have more like this considering the length of the exposure.
    To overcome this, I used the quick slection tool to capture and paste into a new layer a somewhat ragged section which had the most blurring and gave it a rather strong sharpen at 112 and 20 and 0. Using an overlay mask, I was able to apply a 12% "painting" using an average color from the main selection to get back some of the color lost from the shaorpening mask. Flattening all layers secured the edits.

Boats in the Marina

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Thank you. I'm honored.
    The pleasure is all mine Mary

Real Name

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that. I leveled the shot using the top of a mast and the "top" of it's reflection (you can't see that - it's now cropped off), so it should have been right, but it's difficult with shots like this because there's no true horizon, and the boats aren't necessarily shraight up and down (depends on how the wight inside is distributed) - and the mooring poles can be visibly on quite a lean in reality (they vary, as you can see in the image).

Yes - with long exposures it's common to get a bit of movement - one either has to use a shorter exposure (and suffer the effect of not so smooth water), or just take the movement. Personally, I don't mind the movement, and there's very little that can be done about it i a large print anyway.

With regards to the crop - yes - I do like it slightly tighter. At the time it's always a "how long is a piece of string" decision; normally I crop quite agressively with shots like this anyway.