Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daddy's Vintage Camera

Daddy's Vintage Camera

Daddy's Vintage Camera

Pardon me for I don't know onto where to post this. Absolutely not for People and Pets, not Nature and Architecture so I just decided to post this under this category, even though I know that it's not digital but vintage!

Daddy's Vintage Camera

Anyway this was my Father's old camera and I saw it collecting dust in a corner so I decided to take it and keep it. I have no idea if films for this kind are still out in the market, probably no more. So maybe I'll just keep this piece of memento to remind me of those precious, priceless memories captured!

Daddy's Vintage Camera

SMILE! YOU'RE ON VINTAGE CAMERA!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Daddy's Vintage Camera

Wow. That could be a collector's item by now! I'd say keep it. Its personal value is more than the monetary gain that you can get from selling it. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

And...the technical details of it

http://www.brownie-camera.com/27.shtml

Leo

Real Name
    Pops

My first camera was a Brownie Hawkeye. Came with the developing and printing kit included. I loved that old camera and burned through many rolls of film with it.

You can't buy film for it, but you can buy the companion rolls and respool them onto the old reels, which is not hard, just a bit tedious. It takes a 620 spool, which are available if you look hard enough. You buy 120 film and, in a DARKROOM or DARKBAG, unspool the 120 and wrap it back on the 620 spool. The later versions will take the 120 spool in the top and use the 620 spool only in the take up slot.

http://cclemens.tripod.com/Brownie/Hawkeye.htm
    http://www.davidrichert.com/brownie_hawkeye.htm

There are many other sites to look at, but this is a quick look at what you have. Keep it for the treasure it is.

Pops

Real Name
    Richard

I remember them well. I never had one but, lots of my friends did.

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Wow. That could be a collector's item by now! I'd say keep it. Its personal value is more than the monetary gain that you can get from selling it. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Jiro, I've been keeping it for a long time! And I won't bargain it for any cameras even for the latest Nikon model. Wha? On the second thought...any offers there?

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLeo View Post
    And...the technical details of it

Leo
    Oh wow! I never thought that this was a cool camera then! Thank you for the link, I appreciate it.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Wow.. That looks great.
    Just a thought, is TTL possible with/through that camera? I had briefly read about this technique. Not very sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    My first camera was a Brownie Hawkeye. Came with the developing and printing kit included. I loved that old camera and burned through many rolls of film with it.

You can't buy film for it, but you can buy the companion rolls and respool them onto the old reels, which is not hard, just a bit tedious. It takes a 620 spool, which are available if you look hard enough. You buy 120 film and, in a DARKROOM or DARKBAG, unspool the 120 and wrap it back on the 620 spool. The later versions will take the 120 spool in the top and use the 620 spool only in the take up slot.

http://cclemens.tripod.com/Brownie/Hawkeye.htm
    http://www.davidrichert.com/brownie_hawkeye.htm

There are many other sites to look at, but this is a quick look at what you have. Keep it for the treasure it is.

Pops
    Ooh, I wish Dad is still around so he could teach me how I could make use of this again. Thanks for that link it's very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I remember them well. I never had one but, lots of my friends did.
    Richard, now I know how cool this camera was, I may not even use this at present but keeping this would be enough to make me proud. Thanks for your reply.

Real Name
    Bill S

Al,

Nice camera. I really like the vintage cameras, and since it was your father's, that makes it extra cool. Unfortunately, I do have a little bad news for you... even if you were to find film for it, there looks to be a rather nasty crack right through the middle of the picture taking lens, so I don't know if you'd be able to get any quality shots from it.

Another bit of news - and this is no way is meant to diminish the value you place on this camera, because I think the fact that it was your father's makes it much more special - is that they are not really worth all that much - at least here in the states. I got all four of the cameras here for $20 USD total! It is amazing what you can find at flea markets and yard sales!

Daddy's Vintage Camera

Across the back row (from left to right), we have a Brownie Six-20 Brownie Junior, a Brownie Reflex Synchro Model, and a Brownie Hawkeye Flash Model similar to yours. In the front row - an Argus Seventy-Five. I also have an Anscoflex II that my wife bought me for Christmas this past year (splurging and spending $20 for it alone!!!). Of the set, only the Brownie Reflex Synchro, the Argus Seventy-Five, and the Anscoflex II are useful for TTV (there are plenty of others, but those are the ones I own).

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Just a thought, is TTL possible with/through that camera? I had briefly read about this technique. Not very sure though.
    Sahil - unfortunately TTV is not really feasible with this camera. The viewfinder on it is far too smal to be useful. See my comment above for which models work well for TTV.

If anyone is wondering what the heck TTV is, check out this thread, or head over to my blog, or try a google search. It is a ton of fun and breathes a little life back into some of these vintage cameras!

You've got a great little camera there, Al. Thanks for sharing! I think you should treasure that thing - put it in a open place in your house.. it'll make a lovely conversation piece. And ask your father if he has any of the photos that he took with the camera, I think it would be fun to keep them along with the camera!

- Bill

Bill, thank you. I never thought that this was an interesting camera. Father have lots of pictures taken and I've kept some of them and unfortunately I cannot ask him anymore because he passed away just last year. And when I saw the cameras you've posted, it made me cry LOL! The camera is displayed in the receiving area, but I think only those who are interested in photography and vintage stuff would appreciate it. I went to see the TTV thread and picture amused me! Thanks again.

Real Name
    Bill S

Al,

I'm sorry to hear about your father, but it is nice that you have this old camera and photos of his as just one little reminder of him, and it is nice to see that he apparently passed along his interest in photography to you.

- Bill

Al, I would certainly keep it. It is part of them and I always think cameras are quite an intimate item like watches or jewellery. This is a small part of my Dads collection of camera's. I like to have them hanging around.

Daddy's Vintage Camera

Daddy's Vintage Camera

Real Name
    Bill S

Nice collection, Steve. You say this is a small portion of it... how many cameras in total?

- Bill

Hi Bill

There are about 35-40. I have packed some away but I keep this lot around the house. He never bought any new except the OM2n which was bought for me when I was 18. In fact he sold several of his more valuable camera's to fund his primary collections of antique books and gramophone records.

If they resurrected that Zeiss Ikon in digital I would sell my gear like a shot and buy one. The build quality is pretty near a Leica and it feels so good in the hands

Cool Steve! You've got fine vintage camera collection! I wish I could something like that! And you're right, they're precious, more precious than jewelries. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Joe Watterson

The Brownie Hawkeye that started this discussion was my first camera too.

I also have my father's old cameras - in fact my first SLR was the Nikkormat FT2 w/lenses I inherited when he passed. I also have his first ever camera which must date from the 19'teens, an image of which I'll end this post with, his first 35mm camera, which was a Kodak Signet 35 which still works and has assorted filters etc., and others.

Here's the oldie:

Daddy's Vintage Camera

Actually, and touched though I truly am by others' sentimental attachment to their father's cameras, I guess I'm wondering if anyone thinks this antique might actually have monetary value at this point. Anyone?

Real Name
    Bill S

Joe,

I'm not 100% sure as I'm not familiar with that model, but I have seen Eastman Kodak No. 2 Folding Cartridge Hawk Eye - Model B for $20 and cheaper. In fact, I have one sitting on my bookshelf right now. I bought it at a vintage store, so mine has no sentimental value, but in terms of production dates, it ended in 1917, so that might give you an idea on your camera. Different models certainly will go for different amounts, but I still think the sentimental value of it will far outstrip any monetary value. I still vote for "keep it!".

- Bill

Real Name
    Richard

So you think that live-view is something new How about the live-view on this one. It also appears to have a level indicator also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast