Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ducky Tulips

Ducky Tulips

It's my turn - the tulips are just starting to bloom, here. These are from the NYC Botanical Gardens, though, where the last of the tulips were just ending.

Okay, actually, this is a Primula auricula (did I get that right bill? Oh, that's a kind of funny typo - let me try again - Bill.) I don't know if it's a nice photo or if it's just that I can't very easily find this type and have been wanting to grow them for forever.

It really does help to click on them and view them in the light box.

Ducky Tulips

Alright, here are the tulips:

Ducky Tulips

Ducky Tulips

#4 in a Wirefoxian vein (but what else do we do when they're gorgeous and glowing in the sun like that?)

Ducky Tulips

Thanks!

Real Name
    Shannon

Re: Ducky Tulips

I can't offer critique because I am just beginning in photography. But I can say I LOVE the first one and especially the last one. I love how the flower stands out so much and how the petals almost look like paper. Everything is so clear. Excellent job!

Ducky Tulips
    That sounds like the Netherlands entry in the 1979 Eurovision Song Contest

Katy, I remember you talked about how you would like to produce images like photographs in lifestyle magazines. Well..the first three certainly qualify for that. All very well exposed and well composed. Never ceases to amaze me how far you have come in the last few months.

The last one of course is excellent. It is actually far better than mine because the light is more subtle and you have that varigated colouring in the petals. Very well photographed. Now...in your hurry to show us all this excellent stuff you forgot to clone out the whopping Harvey sized dust bunnies on the last image. I usually use the smear tool with a soft edged brush, opacity 65% rate 75%.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambhala View Post
    I can't offer critique because I am just beginning in photography. But I can say I LOVE the first one and especially the last one. I love how the flower stands out so much and how the petals almost look like paper. Everything is so clear. Excellent job!
    Thank you, Shannon! The encouragement and appreciation is very, very appreciated. I should, also, take this chance to say "aloha" and welcome to CiC, from me, too. It's fun watching you jump in, here, and to watch your enthusiasm - I'm addicted and lovingly attached to my camera, too. Best wishes and keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    That sounds like the Netherlands entry in the 1979 Eurovision Song Contest
    It sounds like something. But, I don't know what!

Katy, I remember you talked about how you would like to produce images like photographs in lifestyle magazines. Well..the first three certainly qualify for that. All very well exposed and well composed. Never ceases to amaze me how far you have come in the last few months.
    I did some soul searching about that, a couple of months ago. At this point, I've seen reams and reams of photos of interiors and homes and almost came to the conclusion that it might just make me barf if I saw anymore. (excuse me, all.) Thing is, a lot of that is flat and so hyper stylized that it's dead. I almost chucked the whole 'dream' but, then, I remembered what the original idea was and that was to capture light and atmosphere and moments that fit with the thought of home, etc. It's pretty idealistic but I don't mind that (says the realistic idealist), just as long as it's not fake and plasticy living. I think the difference is mostly in the play of light. Well, to make a long story short - I almost didn't post these but I thought that the light was so pretty and I just wanted to plop down and stay on that bench forever....

Actually, my disillusionment came just moments before Rob's "antimacassars" - I'm not sure if he (you) had any idea that it was leading me right to some very, very, very deep thoughts about life.

The last one of course is excellent. It is actually far better than mine because the light is more subtle and you have that varigated colouring in the petals. Very well photographed. Now...in your hurry to show us all this excellent stuff you forgot to clone out the whopping Harvey sized dust bunnies on the last image. I usually use the smear tool with a soft edged brush, opacity 65% rate 75%.
    I wanted to see if anyone would mention those (you mean the floating green things?) and, also, that the seat on the bench is blown but I've gotten away with it? (Big grin with nervous, darting eyes smiley.)

Steve, you've been helping me from the start. You're so encouraging! Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 20th May 2011 at 03:50 AM.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Okay, actually, this is a Primula auricula (did I get that right bill? Oh, that's a kind of funny typo - let me try again - Bill.)
    Actually... I think that you're supposed to put scientific names in italics too... haha! On a side note, have I told you how good my reflexes are at dodging flying objects? Shoes in particular. I don't know why that felt relevant to share right now, but...

Anyway, I love the first shot. I really like how you make the flowers stand apart from the rest of the shot. It makes it feel like they are hoving above the background.

And as for the Wirefoxian view, I think you did the technique perfect justice!

Keep 'em coming.

- Bill

Thanks, bill! (My computer won't survive a shoe - it's on it's last legs!) So, from now one, you're lowercase bill!

Nah! Just joking! What I really want to do is grow them!!! (er, "them" meaning the flowers.)

Thanks for the encouargement!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 20th May 2011 at 02:14 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Nice work Katy. I remember when you started and you have come so far. Well done.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Don't understand much the techo jargon above. What I do know is that I really love #1 and #4. To my untrained and simple eye:- Clean, Clear, Crisp and well focussed on the subject. Great work K.
    ucci

Thanks, Guys!!! (Peter and Mr. ucci - btw, K, I LOVE your new signature!!!)

Here's the glowing tulip sans little green men.

Ducky Tulips

Real Name
    Graham

Katy,
    I love the primulas they are so crisp and bright.

The last tulip is beautiful and I like the way you have presented it.

I would like to know why you left in the green and blue spots, I like the way they add depth. Did you crop the image? I would have been tempted to crop it square and it wouldn't have floated in space the way yours does.

Graham

Real Name
    John

#1 and 4 are my choices also, refreshing take on this type of photography.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I like them all, but am partial to number 2... it looks happy to me.

Thank you, Graham, John and Mary! It's just plain helpful to know which ones stand out to others as their favorites. Graham, I did crop in the white tulip a bit but it's still the original composition. That's just the way I happen to like it.

Real Name
    Elise

These are beautiful, Katy -- and the little primula is adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    These are beautiful, Katy -- and the little primula is adorable.
    Thanks, Elise! I'm so glad that all you all like the primula, too. I just love the sweet thing, myself.

Real Name
    Shannon

Thanks Katy.. !! That's what I tend to do, Just jump right in.. I either love something or not.. I never seem to do anything half way.. LOL. I don't know why I didn't pick up a camera sooner.. But I am glad I did.. I think I have found a lifelong passion. I love seeing everyone's work. !!