Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: just starting out with my new camera

Real Name
    Keith

just starting out with my new camera

Hi,
    I'm just starting out and would love some tips on what I could have done better with this picture.

just starting out with my new camera

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: just starting out with my new camera

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmasnow View Post
    Hi,
    I'm just starting out and would love some tips on what I could have done better with this picture.
    You coulda used a 12-bore rather than a camera?!

Nothing wrong with the pic for me. The eye looks to be in sharp focus. Maybe could've had a bit more room to the right to give a feeling of space into which the squirrel is looking. But it looks pretty good to me. Keep shooting!

Real Name
    Keith

Thanks for the complement. I got the SONY A390 and i should really spend some time learning all the settings. I actually reduced the size of the picture because I thought there was to much in it.

My thoughts were the same as Tommy; just leave a little more clear space around your subject. Not massive amounts though. Only a fraction more is needed.

Real Name
    Keith

Thanks for the help. Now for my next question, should I leave more room forward or behind the subject? Or should it just be all around. I know that its all subjective but you guys know your stuff and any help I can get would be great. Also what is your opinion on photo shopping the pictures.

Thanks

I would add a little bit all round, Keith, but end up with more in front than behind.

It usually works better if the subject appears to be 'looking at something' instead of being 'hemmed in'.

Real Name
    Bill S

Keith,

This has nothing to do with the camera model you have... but perhaps there was a better angle for the shot. You got low - probably kneeling? - but getting the camera right down to the squirrel's eye level would have been better I think. Plus, if possible a more 3/4 angle (ie: move more to the right) might have been nicer and given you a chance to catch the squirrel's eye contact, would have shifted the reflection in its eye to make it a little more attractive maybe, and possibly would have shown more of what it is eating... all of which would have increased the way the photo would engage the viewer.

I'm not saying is a bad shot by any means, but just things to potentially think about next time around...

- Bill

Real Name
    Keith

Thanks Geoff and Ktuli,
    I'm heading out tomorrow to take some more shots so I'll try both and see what happens. Ktuli, I really like your idea of getting down at the eye level. Now as long as I can bait them and have them stand still long enough