Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: would love some feedback on these pictures

would love some feedback on these pictures

Re: would love some feedback on these pictures

Hi,too small,not sharp enough,too much negative space,...
    would love some feedback on these pictures
    Don't be upset,go on!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: would love some feedback on these pictures

Yep, I think with something like this you have to think very carefully about the composition of the image. It's not just the main subject you have to think about, but also all the things that are around it, because it's the whole frame that makes the image.

One thing you'll often hear is that you need to check all the way around the edges before you press the shutter.

In this one, you can see that the main subject (the flower) is actually only a very small part of the whole image. I think it needs to be a much bigger part. And then, even when you have that, you need to look carefully at what fills up the rest of the space - Does it help draw attention to the main subject? Does it complement the main subject, so that the whole image 'works'; i.e. is in harmony? Or are there things in the background, for example, that distract attention away from the main subject?

Another thing to think about is how you line up the subject. On this one, you've very much shot it from a high angle looking down on it. That doesn't tend to work to well for flowers. You need to get down to its level. You'll very quickly find that nature/landscape photography often involved you lying on your stomach (or in my case, kneeling on wet ground or in flowing water) - all for the sake of out art!!

Now what all of this adds up to is - Don't stop practicing. You've already demonstrated your willingness to try something different and not go for the conventional 'snapshot'. So, definitely stick with it. Have a read of the tutorial on here about composition. Have a look at what other people on here have produced. Study them critically and ask yourself what does or does not work. It's the best way of learning.