Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

    I know I know, many of you have probably been saying this for years (and you'd be right, sigh! )

    But ...

    A friend of mine has a Nikon D60 - and is having trouble getting to grips with the delay-timer function - any Nikon shooters out there who can give me any "heads up" to pass on?

    Anything obvious that they're likely to be missing?

    Thanks folks!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I know I know, many of you have probably been saying this for years (and you'd be right, sigh! )

    But ...

    A friend of mine has a Nikon D60 - and is having trouble getting to grips with the delay-timer function - any Nikon shooters out there who can give me any "heads up" to pass on?

    Anything obvious that they're likely to be missing?

    Thanks folks!

    What perfect timing! I have a D60 and was trying to use the timer last week... fail. I've read the manual, read on-line but am abviously missing something. Hopefully someone can help.

  3. #3
    rob marshall

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    If you Google "nikon d60 self timer" (without the quotes) then click 'discussion' on the left hand side filter there are a couple of forum threads that discuss this.

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nik...ed=0CBIQ_AUoBQ

    This one in particular, but it's for a different Nikon model. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...4&changemode=1

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Thanks Rob,

    Most helpful of you.

    @ Mary - Really hope you find the answer too!

  5. #5
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    28,826
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Just select it using the bottom left button, the options on the side of the screen will be highlighted, scroll down to the small s, choose OK, scroll down to the Release Mode selections (s, continuous, timer, remote delay), click OK and fire away.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Just select it using the bottom left button, the options on the side of the screen will be highlighted, scroll down to the small s, choose OK, scroll down to the Release Mode selections (s, continuous, timer, remote delay), click OK and fire away.
    That's what I was doing... exactly... but the timer never seemed to engage... the warning light wouldn't start blinking... never would actually click the shutter release. Hmmm...

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    That's what I was doing... exactly... but the timer never seemed to engage... the warning light wouldn't start blinking... never would actually click the shutter release. Hmmm...
    OK folks - it's official - we have a damsel in distress here!

    How are we going to help?

    Anyone got a video link perhaps?

    Does it depend on what mode the camera is in?

  8. #8
    Black Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whitburn, Sunderland
    Posts
    2,181
    Real Name
    Robin

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Stupid question I know - are you setting Timer or Remote Delay because the second needs and actual remote control to trigger the camera?

    Can't think of any reason why it won't fire and it shouldn't matter what mode the camera is set to.

    Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

  9. #9
    Black Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whitburn, Sunderland
    Posts
    2,181
    Real Name
    Robin

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Does the camera try to auto focus when you press the button? It should and if it isn't in focus it won't let you trip the shutter.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Does the camera try to auto focus when you press the button? It should and if it isn't in focus it won't let you trip the shutter.
    I wonder if setting the focus to manual might be a good test?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    263
    Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Does the camera try to auto focus when you press the button? It should and if it isn't in focus it won't let you trip the shutter.
    I made sure it was focused...

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I wonder if setting the focus to manual might be a good test?
    Maybe I'll give that a go.

  14. #14
    The Blue Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    787
    Real Name
    Mark Fleming

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Colin/Mary,

    Is the problem with the camera reverting back to Normal mode all the time after having taken a shot? Two work arounds for this. The first would be to set the "function button" to Timer release and then you won't be going all the way through the menus, or, and this would be the best bet, to purchase the ir remote ML L3. It's about $15 I think.
    Last edited by The Blue Boy; 18th May 2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Got the name of the remote wrong. :))

  15. #15
    Hansm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    401
    Real Name
    Hans

    Re: Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

    A friend of mine has a Nikon D60
    You have a friend using a NIKON?

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Colin Needs Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    Colin/Mary,

    Is the problem with the camera reverting back to Normal mode all the time after having taken a shot? Two work arounds for this. The first would be to set the "function button" to Timer release and then you won't be going all the way through the menus, or, and this would be the best bet, to purchase the ir remote ML L3. It's about $15 I think.
    It's like it's not actually recognising that it is in timer mode at all.... maybe that would be the all around easiest option. Thank you, Mark.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hansm View Post
    You have a friend using a NIKON?
    The horrors... oh... I use Nikon. Okay... feeling the need to clarify... I try to use Nikon.

  18. #18
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    28,826
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    The horrors... oh... I use Nikon. Okay... feeling the need to clarify... I try to use Nikon.
    When you select the hourglass/help button (lower left) you should get a yellow highlight, scroll down to the function you want to change (in this case the "s"), once highlighted you need to press the OK button which will take you to the Release Mode screen. Scroll down to the function you want 2s or 10s and then press OK again. When you go back to the original release mode screen, the option you chose should be on the right hand side. Compose your scene, press the shutter button and wait for the photo to snap, if the camera senses motion it may try to re-focus.

  19. #19
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    28,826
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Colin Needs Help! (Nikon D60 delay timer)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    When you select the hourglass/help button (lower left) you should get a yellow highlight, scroll down to the function you want to change (in this case the "s"), once highlighted you need to press the OK button which will take you to the Release Mode screen. Scroll down to the function you want 2s or 10s and then press OK again. When you go back to the original release mode screen, the option you chose should be on the right hand side. Compose your scene, press the shutter button and wait for the photo to snap, if the camera senses motion it may try to re-focus.
    You can also assign the self timer function to the "fn" button by selecting it through the custom settings menu.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •